Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Aspel distribution clarification

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 14:01 CDT
Subject: Re: Aspel distribution clarification
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9306170950.aa20019@salmon.maths.tcd.ie> Owen Carter writes:
>chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:
>
>>   The film was called "Blowing the Gaff" (one of the phrases used in
>>the O.E.D. in the definition of the word "gaff".) This phrase seemed
>>really obscure, but in the film "The Crying Game" the female IRA member
>>(Miranda Richardson?) askes the lead if he "...blew the gaff."
>
>I've never seen the film myself, but here "gaff" is
>slang for home/house/flat/where you live.
>
>So presumably "blowing the gaff" means leaving your house.

  In the dictionary and the film, the term meant "to reveal the secret."

  The word "gaff" has a bunch of other meanings, but mentioning them
would violate the "What does 'gaffa' mean" cease-fire.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)