Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

US Cable sound byte

From: jlburk01@ulkyvx.louisville.edu
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 06:35:25 GMT
Subject: US Cable sound byte
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@hermes.louisville.edu (Netnews)

> Has anybody heard the theme that ShowTime (US Cable Movie Network) has
> picked up recently? It uses this musical phrase from _Hounds of Love_. I
> seem to recall somebody taking that phrase and using it in a remix/dance
> tune. It wasn't Kate singing. Does anybody have the angle on this?

> daemien
I heard this Showtime jingle today and my jaw absolutely dropped!  It's the
soundbyte from Utah Saints.  It's Kate's line but it's not Kate singing.  A
question: (sorry if it's been asked before but I don't think I've encountered
the answer) does she get any sort of recognition for these sound bytes?  I
don't have the Utah Saints song so I don't know if they do or not but what
about Showtime?  It's not her singing and it's the Utah Saints' sound byte so
is it free to be used by anyone?  Oh, that brings up something else
interesting..I know Kate's music had been used in several movies but how does
she feel about advertisments such as this?
I'm still amazed by the amount of references to her music I encounter given the
unfortunate lack of coverage of her work.
			Sincerely and respectfully,
				Jill
				jlburk01@ulkyvx.louisville.edu
PS. I've gotten so much help and positive responses to my posts and questions!
I just want to thank you all.  I really appreciate it and enjoy hearing from
you!