Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

help w/H. Rhodes

From: Kimberly Stauffer AMSTE-LGS 4900 <kstauff@APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 16:50:05 EDT
Subject: help w/H. Rhodes
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: jlburk01@ulkyvx.louisville.edu

Jill writes:
>I want some advice concerning Happy Rhodes.....My question: which one
>would be the best to "introduce" me to her music?.....

I have to respond to this one.  I recommend the earlier stuff.  Let me
explain why.  If you looking for H. Rhodes music that sound alot like
Kate then you will be disappointed with her later recordings.  I was
told this by other - and I agree with them.  Here some time ago I went
to the music store and they had only one Happy CD.  It was not the moste
recent recording (is that Equi pose?) but the one right befor that - any
ways a recent recording.  So I listened - greatly expecting a Kate Bush
sound (which was probably wrong of me), her newer stuff has a deeper, throater
sound, very nice, just not crisp and clear and high like Kate.
Well, this past weekend I went to the same music store and they had ordered
all of H. Rhodes recording, so I prelistened to Rhodes I (Rhodes I & II are
her first two recording) and I couldn't believe my ears.  If that wasn't
Kates Bush's double (double voice that is) than nobody else could be.

I bought it without hesitation.  I really like it alot.  So that is whyt
I suggest that if your expecting a Kate sound (and you seem like you are
because you even said >In case this helps, my fave Kate recordings are....
......) which indicates to me that you are hoping for a Kate sound then

BUY RHODES I AND RHODES II first!.

Good Luck
Kim Stauffer