Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Oh-oh.... Mailinglist Voltaire!

From: jorn@chinet.com (Jorn Barger)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1993 01:24:24 -0500 (CDT)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

When I started the WarmRoom mailinglist last year, it was for the single,
simple reason that half-a-dozen gaffans had outright denied that *people
have a right not to have their feelings hurt*.  And the only entrance
requirement for WarmRoom, from the beginning, was that everyone *try to
subscribe to that principle*.

I feel less need, now, for that sort of protected environment (I've been
training, alas *unwillingly*, with a grandmaster of flamage, for over a
year, and have learned a lot of new survival skills ;^), but instead I want
to have a serious discussion now, with anyone interested, about how to
foster, on r.m.g, the Voltairean principle:

       "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend
        to the death your right to say it."

And to spare r.m.g another flamewar, I want to take it *immediately* to an
email list that I will maintain, as best I can from my personal Elm mailer.

And since it seems to me there's not much point to argue *for and against
the Voltaire principle itself*, what I really want to discuss is what
constitutes a violation of it, and how best to deal with these.  So the
'password' this time around is just, do you subscribe to that principle of
free speech?  And in the course of our discussion, we will *not*
automatically eject flamers, because recent experience has convinced me
that people have *totally, unimaginably* different perceptions of what's a
disagreement, and what's an attempt to suppress free speech.

Instead, we will try to examine these differing perceptions, and hash out
an agreement that does best by everyone, about how to properly deal with
perceived suppression.  (We will *not* discuss magic and science, etc.)

And to start off, I will mail anyone who wants it a list of selected flames
and counterflames from the recent tribulations, *to be graded from A to F
according to perceived seriousness*.  And when I've compiled these stats,
we can start the discussion from there.

If you want to join "mailinglist Voltaire", send me a message with
"subscribe Voltaire" in the subjectline.  If you want to include comments
to be passed on to all subscribers immediately (or at any time), start your
subjectline with a capital "V"-- ie, "V subscribe Voltaire".  (I get many
mailinglists, and try to keep them sorted out by such initials.)  If you
*don't* want something redistributed, please re-state that clearly in the
first line of your message.

Non-Voltaireans who want to take the survey and see the results are welcome
to send "request Voltaire survey".

jorn

keep flames in email, please