Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KATE BUSH CDROM PROJECT: formatting considerations

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 93 21:29:41 PDT
Subject: KATE BUSH CDROM PROJECT: formatting considerations
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        In the discussion of different formats of various files, it
should be noted that the archives themselves are in "ASCII" format and
probably don't need to be translated into anything else (if I
understand these things fully).  The reasons: 1) they don't contain any
special formatting codes like underline, etc.  2) at the end of every
line there is a "hard return" - so the formatting is pretty much stuck
at 80 columns, and even if you convert it to another format (say
wordperfect or something) it will still print out at 80 columns.  The
only way I know of changing this is to manually delete the returns from
every line, except for the lines that end a paragraph.  Anyone want to
manually alter 80 megabytes!  :-)  I had to do alot of this in
translating The Garden, and compiling Cloudbusting, and it wasn't fun!
:-)
        So, I think it might be better to just include it in ASCII, and
do whatever formatting changes you want to on Cloudbusting and The
Garden and MAYBE Deeper Understanding (most of which is directly from
the archives and so has the same problem, even though it's currently in
WP format).

        A couple people have again mentioned including stuff in ASCII
format.  As far as I know both the Garden and Cloudbusting are already
in the archives as ASCII, I don't think the Wordperfect version ever
(versions I mean) ever made it there.

        Chris mentioned that the archives are currently a "mess".  This
is certainly true, however when/if I finish Deeper Understanding,
escentually everything of value will be in either The Garden,
Cloudbusting, or Deeper Understanding with the repetition relatively
minor (except for the archives which include everything.)  The only
major repetion will be that both Cloudbusting and Deeper Understanding
oops I mean THE GARDEN will have interviews in them, but that is only
because THE GARDEN has the un-edited interviews (which are sometimes
nice to read) and CLOUDBUSTING has them re-edited in a more organized
format.
        Oh, and of course I'm talking about "text" material, obviously
there is a zillion picture files as well.

        Tracy from Still Breathing told me she was planning to do some
major scanning of pictures from her collection, if anyone is interested
in following up on this, these would make a nice addition to any CDROM
project.

Ron "Only Three weeks till my vacation" Hill

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA