Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate questions

From: agough@sedona.intel.com (Andy Gough)
Date: 4 Jun 1993 00:59:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <C802yF.7K5@acsu.buffalo.edu>, v115p8d6@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (she listens like her head's on fire..) writes:
> In article <C7z40s.JA9@chinet.chinet.com>, jorn@chinet.chinet.com (Jorn Barger) writes...
> >Bob Krovetz fires the startingpistol for a new round of
> >rec.music.gaffa.jeopardy:
[deleted...]
> >9. What is "baccy"? (`The stink of cologne and baccy, and all their Yankee
> >hash') (Pull Out the Pin)
> >
> >Baccy's tobacco, but what's Yankee hash?  Army rations, probably? (Americans
> >didn't bring hashish *into* Vietnam!)
>
> Yankee hash is referring to marijuana I would think. They might not have
> brought it *into* Vietnam but some of them certainly smoked it.

Gee, I always thought it referred to the "food" recipe of "hash," as in
"cornbeef hash."  Luckily, this is something I haven't had too much of.  It's
prepared by mincing the meet, mixing it with some kind of carbohydrate, and
cooking in a pot until good-n-greasy.  Often used as a comic vehicle in TV
sitcoms as either 1) an awful meal about to be served, or 2) the cause of bad
breath.

A factoid about the Korean war relates to this.  In the Korean war, the
American forces could tell when they were near Koreans due to the smell of
kim-chee (a heavy garlic & rotted cabbage foodstuff).  This worked the other
way, too, though.  The Korean forces could tell when they were near Americans
by the smell of all the dairy products.

Regards,
Andy
--