Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate questions

From: jorn@chinet.chinet.com (Jorn Barger)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1993 02:53:15 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Bob Krovetz fires the startingpistol for a new round of
rec.music.gaffa.jeopardy:

1. What does "the Goose Moon" refer to? (in L'Amour Looks Something Like
You)

As Chris uncannily guesses, traditionally, it's a full moon in autumn when
the geese are flying south.  (I found it in a ref. book of idioms)

2. What is "the Sweeney"? (`He'll never make "the Sweeney"' in "Wow")

Consensus among LoveHounds, some years back, was a 60s tv detective show in
Britain. (I'm still skeptical, a bit.  I wish it were a theater, but
apparently not.)

3. Who is "Georgie"? (`Well take care of yourself, and remember Georgie';
                      Don't Put Your Foot on the Heartbrake)

Georges Gurdjieff, is one candidate. (So it would translate exactly as
Fullhouse's 'Remember *yourself*', G's main teaching.)  But then who's Emma?
The lyric sounds like a novel (movie?) where the heroine Emma smashes up her
car at the end, after her lover/husband abandons her. (Emma *Bovary* was the
tragic victim of her own passions...?)  Georgie might be her son?

4. What is the expression "I'll just put in the boot"? ("Fullhouse")

Boot the nagging voices out of her head, is what I hear.  The song is
pretty upbeat at this point, so suicide seems unlikely.

5. Why does kissing the woman in the warm room feel "like kicking a
   habit"? (In the Warm Room)

Your burdens melt away?

6. What is meant by a "brechtian treatment" (a comment by Paddy Bush
   describing the development of "Coffee Homeground")

Bertolt Brecht wrote the words for "Threepenny Opera" (1928-- Mac the Knife,
etc?) and other plays, especially with Kurt Weill.  Extremely hardhitting
German political musical cabaret, in *seedy*, realistic settings.  Hal
Willner's "Lost in the Stars" tribute compilation (to Weill) has fascinating
liner notes, along with a phenomenal range of songs and settings. (Made me
want to read a bio of Weill-- he was a heroic guy!)

7. What does "amat" mean? (`Delius amat' in "Delius")

Latin amo, amas, amat: i love, you love, *s/he loves*  (But why???)

8. Who are "Minnie and Moony"? (Blow Away)  Who is "Bolan"?
   [I assume they are dead rock and roll artists.  Perhaps Minnie
    refers to Minnie Ripperton?]

Yes Minnie Ripperton, Keith Moon, Marc Bolan.  Assuming these were deaths
that touched her especially, should we be surprised by the absence of Jimi,
Jim, & Janis?  (Was Buddy Holly via Don Mclean?? or just good name-rhythm?)

9. What is "baccy"? (`The stink of cologne and baccy, and all their Yankee
hash') (Pull Out the Pin)

Baccy's tobacco, but what's Yankee hash?  Army rations, probably? (Americans
didn't bring hashish *into* Vietnam!)

12. Any guesses as to what Kate is saying at 1:40 in "Leave it Open"?

??? You sure this is the right song/time?

X. What instrument is the Banshee? (Violin)

I think this isn't an instrument, but Paddy's (processed) voice, because a
banshee's a mythological screaming female demon, foretelling death.  Maybe
the sound behind the banshee/bv lines?

Enjoyed the questions, thanks!  I plan to emulate yr box-a-thon soon.
Definitely, though, ftp yourself a copy of Cloudbusting and join the
know-it-alls... (I mean, since it contains every traceable Katequote,
what else *can* be *known*? ;^)

jorn