Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Siberry Discog

From: bilbo@cis.ohio-state.edu (William H Stoner III)
Date: 25 May 1993 18:32:44 -0400
Subject: Siberry Discog
To: rec-music-gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

since someone was wondering...

	Hello and welcome to the Jane Siberry discography.  It is really
not a true discography as it contains various other information, such as
address, and a short intro to her work.  If you're new to Jane hopefully
the intro will give you a good idea of where to start, or to continue on
the path you've started.  If on the other hand you're already a fan I
hope that this discography will give you some info you didn't already know.

	Jane Siberry is one of Canada's premier singer-songwriters who has,
over the course of her five albums, ranged in style from folk ("Jane Siberry")
to snyth based pop-rock ("No Borders Here" and "the Speckless Sky"), to a more
lush sounding synth based art rock ("the Walking"), and finally to folk with
country flavorings ("Bound By the Beauty" ( I hate labels but how else to
describe...???)).  Her work is always consisently good and she has had the
fortune to work with and assemble some of the best musicians in Canada.
...so here we go...

Last Update: 5-25-93

Albums

  1. Jane Siberry
	Marco Polo; This Girl I Know; The Sky is so Blue; The Mystery at
	Ogwen's Farm; The Magic Beads; Writers Are a Funny Breed; The
	Strange Well; Above the Treeline; In the Blue Light.

  	a. LP/CT, Street Records (indie) dist. by Fusion III (Canada), 1981
	b. CD, Street Record (indie) dist. by Fusion III (Canada), 1989
	   re-release, AAD.
*	c. CD, East Side Digital (US), 1991
	   [This version has expanded liner notes, by Switz and Jane, and a
	    few cool pictures too.]

  2. No Borders Here
	The waitress 2:25;  I muse aloud 4:11;  Dancing class 6:41;  Extra
        executives 4:26;  You don't need 4:25;  Symmetry (the way things have
        to be) 4:57;  Follow me 4:19;  Mimi on the beach 7:35;  Map of the
        world (part 1) 3:33  TT 42:53.

	a. LP/CS/CD, Duke Street Records, 31006, Canada, 1984, AAD.
	   released April '84
*	b. LP/CS/CD, Open Air/Windham Hill/A&M, OD 0302, US, 1983/84, AAD.
	   released May '85; Remastered and has different cover. [Don't
	   kow if any actual musical content was changed.]

  3. The Speckless Sky
	One more colour 4:38;  Seven steps to the wall 5:11;  The very large
	Hat 5:35;  Vladimir, Vladimir 7:08;  Mein bitte 4:20;  The empty city
	6:40;  Map of the world (part II) 5:07;  The taxi ride 5:39 TT 44:49.

	a. LP/CT/CD, Duke Street Records, 31019, Canada, 1985, AAD.
	   relesed Sept. '85
	b. LP/CT/CD, Open Air/Windham Hill/A&M, OD 0305, US, 1985, AAD.
	   released April '86
*	c. CD, Open Air/Duke Street, OA-6-0305, UK, ?1984/85?, AAD.
	   released '87; Includes "Mimi on the Beach" from "No Borders
	   Here" lp and new cover.

  4. The Walking
	The White Tent the Raft 9:10; Red High Heels 7:16; Goodbye 4:19;
        Ingrid (and the Footman) 3:53; Lena is a White Table 6:38; The
	Walking (and Constantly) 4:29; The Lobby 6:13; The Bird in the
	Gravel 10:31  TT:??.??.

*	a. LP/CT/CD, Duke Street Records, 31040, Canada, 1987, DDD.
	   released Nov. '87; This disc is DIFFERENT from the US version.
	   It is about six minutes longer, the effected songs being
	   "Ingrid..." [7:00] and "The Walking" [6:14].
*	b. LP/CT/CD, Reprise/Warner Bros.,925-678-2, US/International, 1987/88,
	   DDD.  Released Feb. '88; As noted above this disc is six minutes
	   shorter than the Canadian release.

   5. Bound By the Beauty
	Bound By the Beauty 4:41; Something About Trains 3:44; Hockey 3:58;
	Everything Reminds Me of My Dog 4:17; The Valley 6:04; The Life Is
	The Red Wagon 4:12; Half Angel Half Eagle 3:55; La Jalouse 3:59;
	Miss Punta Blanca 1:38; Are We Dancing Now? (Map III) 6:11 TT 00:00

	a. LP/CT/CD  Duke street/WEA, ??????, Canada, 1989, AAD.
	b. LP/CT/CD  Duke street/Reprise, 9 25942-1, US, 1989, AAD.
	c. LP/CT/CD  Reprise/Duke Street, 7599-25942-2, Europe, 1989, AAD.
*	d. CD  Duke St./Reprise Records  9 25942-2  Promo  [Same tracks
	   and times as regular CD but this is a picture disc.  The
	   picture is the one of the tree branchs on pg. 10 & 11 but is
	   red, not b&w.  No Cover.]
  	   All released Sept. '89.

   6. Summer in the Yukon
	The Life is the Red Wagon 4:12; Miss Punta Blanca 1:38; Calling All
	Angels 5:11; Above the Treeline ; In the Blue Light;
	Seven Steps to the Wall 5:11; Mimi on the Beach 7:35; The Walking
	(and Constantly) ; The Very Large Hat 5:35; The Lobby;
 	Red High Heels; Map of the World Pt II 5:07; The Taxi Ride 5:39.

	a. CD WEA/Reprise, 7 599-26936-2, UK, 1992, AAD
	   [So far this looks like a UK only release...]

    7. When I was a Boy
	[Due in the near future...hopefully in july (93) it haws been
	 delayed several times since January.]

PROMOS/SINGLES:

Waitress
 Duke St./Reprise Records  DSR 71007 (1984)
 (I'd probably be famous now if I wasn't such a good) Waitress
 b/w Map of the World (Part 1)
 7" Vinyl
 [This info came from Record News in the Christmas/New Year 90/91 issue
  of the Speckless Fanzine.]

*Mimi on the Beach [promo]
 Open Air Records  OA-17338
 "Mimi on the Beach (edited)" 4:46
 12" Black Vinyl
 Produced by Jane Siberry and John Switzer
 Co-produced by Jon Goldsmith and Kerry Crawford
 Plain black sleve with sticker containing album release inforamtion
 [Different from the album version. Begins with the synth/drums riff
  right before "There's a girl out on the Sea...".  Spoken parts are
  omitted.  Don't know if this would be the same mix that was used as
  a single in Canada.]

Map of the World (Part 2)
 Duke St./Reprise Records  DSR 81019 (1985)
 Map of the World (Part 2) (edit)
 b/w Mein Bitte
 7" Vinyl; Plain Sleeve
 [Missing over one minute of the song, no "Stick figure with a briefcase"
  section.  This info came from Record News in the Christmas/New Year 90/91
  issue  of the Speckless Fanzine.]

The Walking
 Duke St./Reprise Records  DSR 7140 (1987)
 The Walking (edit)
 b/w The Walking (lp version)
 7" Vinyl
 [Lp version is the Canadian lp version, don't know if the edit is the same
  as the version on the US & International releases.  This info came from
  Record News in the Christmas/New Year 90/91 issue of the Speckless Fanzine.]

Bound By the Beauty [promo single]
 Duke St./ Reprise Records  ???????
 "Bound By the Beauty (edit)" ?:??
 "Bound By the Beauty (album version)" ?:??
 12cm CD; 12" Vinyl
 Produced: ?Jane Siberry and John Switzer?
 Plastic sleeve, No cover.
 [The 12" has a picture of Jane's face on one side and the track listing
  on the other.  The edit is the album mix faded ~20 seconds early.]

*The Life is the Red Wagon [promo single]
 Duke St./Reprise Records  PRO-CD-3944
 "Special Remix" 4:14
 "Remix/Fade" 3:53
 "Lp Version" 4:12
 12cm CD
 Produced: Jane Siberry and John Switzer
 Remixes by: John Switzer and John Naslem
 No cover.
 [This is also a picture disc, the picture is that of a Red Wagon lying on
  its side in the grass (Is this the same as the tour shirt?).  The remix is
  very subtle, but it is different.  Some of the guitar parts are slightly
  altered. It is the same mix used in the video.  This also sometimes comes
  with the promo picdisc of the whole album so be on the look out.]

Other & Related Recordings:
*  1. Bound By Toshiba
	Train (by Tom Waites (sp)), Something About Trains, Up the Logging
	Road, Hockey, Everything Reminds Me of My Dog, La Jalouse, Gone for
	Smokes, Are We Dancing Now? (Map III), The Walking, The Life is the
	Red Wagon (w/ intro), Half Angel Half Eagle (w/ intro), Bruce's
	Song (by Ken Myhr), The Valley, Calling All Angels, Bound by the
	Beauty (w/intro), The Taxi Ride, Mimi on the Beach/Georgie Girl,
	Barcus is Willing.

	Bootleg, taped at St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit Michigan on April 18th
	1990.  Audience recording, good quality.  About ~115 minutes, CT.

*  2. Jane Siberry in Ottawa
	Up the Logging Road, Hockey, Interview with Jane, Calling All Angels,
	La Jalouse, Gone for Smokes, Bound by the Beauty.

	CBC Radio broadcast, June 3rd 1990.  Recorded in Ottawa on April 6th,
	1990.  About ~45 minutes.

*  3. Legacy - A Collection of New Folk Music
	Rebecca Jenkins contributes "Through the Leaves" [4:28] [Ken Myhr,
	 guitar and Anne Bourne, cello are on this one too].
	Anne Bourne contributes "Blue Ballet" [4:32].

	a. CD  Windham Hill Records, WD6-1086, 1989, AAD & DDD.

*  4. Notebook  Ken Myhr
	Bruce's Song, Farm Song, She Left for India in the Rain, Iguana,
	Virgin Gaucho, New Rising, Lost Salt, Wish You Were Home

	a. CT Quagmyhr Records 1990  About 45 minutes
	[Sold on the "Bound By the Beauty" tour for $10 apiece, may still
	 be available through: Quagmyhr Records 358 Spadina Rd. Toronto
	 Canada M5P 2V4.  A collection of mostly instrumental guitar based
	 pieces.  Doesn't showcase Ken's versatility as most of the songs
	 are done in a similar style, but still well worth the cash. Teddy
	 Borowiecki contributes accordian on "Virgin Gaucho", Rebecca Jenkins
	 contributes vocals on "Bruce's Song" and "Farm Song"].

*  5. The Greyness and the Gold
	Up the Logging Road (live), Hockey (live), Interview with Jane,
	Calling All Angels (live), La Jalouse (live), Gone for Smokes (live),
	Bound by the Beauty (live), Calling All Angels(new version), Mimi on
	the Beach (open air promo), Ingrid and the Footman (canadian version),
	the Walking (canadian version), Barcus Is Willing (live), The Empty
	City (live), the Taxi Ride (live), Something About Trains (live),
	Extra Executives (live excerpt).

	[ this tape was made for members of the siberry list and other
	  die hard fans.  The first side consists of the CBC broadcast
	  (number 2 above).  the second side was gleaned from various
	  promos and the documentary film made towards the end of the TSS
	  tour.  It is 90min.  There is a 100 minute version which also
	  contains: Something About Trains (live from mountain stage) and
	  A Long Time Love Song the duet with Martin Tinelli found on the
	  Bruce Cockburn tribute album (I forget the name, but am fairly
	  certain that it is at this time only available in Canada)].

*  6. Live at the Great American Music Hall
	The Bird in the Gravel (opening section), Vladimir Vladimir (excerpt),
	Ingrid (and the footman), Seven Steps to the Wall, One More Color, The
	Bird in the Gravel (middle section), Lena is the White Table, Map of
	the World (pt 1), The Walking, Mimi on the Beach, Mimi (continued),
	Extra Executives, Dancing Class (instrumental excerpt), Goodbye, Red
	High Heels, the Bird in the Gravel (closing section).

	Recorded Live at the Great American Music Hall  San Francisco
	April 12th, 1988.  this is an audience recording but is suprisingly
	listenable. About ~90 minutes.

VIDEOS

[I think that only "The Bird in the Gravel" is available commercially.]

*  1. CBC Documentary
	[About an hour long, various concert performances of "Speckless"
	songs intertwined with short interviews and shots of "The Walking"
	studio sessions.]  About an hour.

*  2. Promo for "The Speckless Sky"
	[Edited interview (ie. you only hear the answers not the questions)
	along with the "dairy" version (Jane walking a cow down the road
	of the "One More Colour" video.]
	About 15 minutes.

*  3. Film of "The Bird in the Gravel"
	An independant film directed/prod. by Siberry based on the song of
	the same title on "The Walking" Lp.  11 minutes/B&W  [this available
	commercially from Sib. Productions ((see below for address) VHS only
	NTSC (north american) format only; US/CANADA: $22.00  Overseas: 25/1.
	Jane is not in the video,it does, however have Rebecca Jenkins, Gina
	Steputnik, Al Cross, Don Freed and others in it.  I had earlier said
	this was in mono.  My VCR must have been fritzed I've watched on a
	couple other machines and it IS in stereo.]

*  4. Mimi on the Beach
	A low budget video of people walking around on the beach, a little
	surrelistic.  Jane has said in interviews that it didn't live up to
	her expectiations.

*  5. You Don't Need
	Jane walking through a sparse forest of leaf less trees and a few
	evergreens in the depths of winter.  It is almost in black and
	white with real washed out colours.

*  6. Map of the World pt. II (live-sort-of)
	"Live" performance video taken from the CBC documentary (No. 1
	above).  The audio portion sounds like it's straight off the
	album though :-(]

*  7. One More Color (non-dairy-computer graphics-gone-wild-version)
	Shot of Jane (singing of course) from about the waist up, with
	various things floating past.  It reminds me of Yes' "Leave it"
	video, if that helps at all.

*  8. One More Color (Jane walking with a cow)
	Jane walking with a cow, whilst singing.

*  9. The Walking
	Hmm...not sure how to describe this one.  Kind of like a moving
	black and white photograph.

* 10. Ingrid (and the Footman)
	This one is fun...Jane plays Ingrid, Al Cross plays the footman
	Different seens of them interspersed with "performance" footage
	of the band.  First time I've seen a piano solo played on a Hammond
	and still sound like a piano ;-).  Ends with Jane sweeping the
	clouds away...piles of white sand arranged to look like clouds on
	a blue floor, Jane comes in with a push broom and sweeps 'em away
	(the camera is looking down on her).  a really neat effect.

* 11. Bound By the Beauty
	Various shots of Jane romping around a farm, interspersed with
	performance footage of the band sitting in a barn on hay bales.

* 12. The Life is the Red Wagon
	Another "moving photograph" video this time in colour.  Several
	sceens literally revolve around people, like they are a wagon
	wheel.  Also shots of "Band on lazy susan"  Jane, Ken and Teddy,
	sitting on in a circle facing outward while the camera goes
	around them, actually I think they really are spinning.

 Are there any more????

ADDRESSES of NOTE:

		 SIB PRODUCTIONS LTD.
	 BOX 291
	 238 Davenport Rd.
	 Toronto, Ont.
	 Canada M5R 1J6

  For questions, mail order and general support....

	Speckless c/o
	Andy Heaps
	41 Burns Road
	Worksop
	Notts
	S81 0QQ
	U.K.

  A FANZINE!!!  And it has even been semi-officially recognized by Jane's
  mom and Bob Blummer (Jane's Manager).  At present cost is $2.50 an issue.

There used to be a siberry mailing list but it seems to have died :-(

Last update:5/25/93

--
"In order to preserve democracy 		|  William H. Stoner III
	oppressive action will be taken"	|  bilbo@cis.ohio-state.edu