Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate and *gasp!* sexuality.

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 14 May 93 18:29 CDT
Subject: Re: kate and *gasp!* sexuality.
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Brian Dodge askes:

>is kate bisexual? i have various conflicting thoughts on it in my head. it
>is obvious that she is heterosexual in many ways. she is definitely NOT
>a lesbian, at least i think. however, i have pondered the issue of whether
>kate was bi for some time and i was wondering if anyone else had some
>input. if not, keep on "breathing..." (out, in, out, in...)

   The possible answers to this question are:

  A:  None of your business - It's entirely Kate's personal affair.
  B:  Unlikely - She has lived with the same man (Del Palmer) for over
                 ten years.
  C:  Possible - Given Kate's positive opinion of homosexuality in her
                 music, interviews and actions. See _Kashka_.
  D:  Possible - Kate is a very intelligent person from an intelligent
                 and open-minded family. _If_ she experimented with
                 women, it is unlikely that she would have faced any
                 parental disapproval.
  E:  Unlikely - Lesbianism has never been mentioned directly or
                 implictly in any of her songs, and Kate has not been
                 shy about sexuality.
  F: Unimportant - Who a musician sleeps with has little or no
                 direct bearing on her music. Del engineers Kate's
                 records because he's _there_ for the several years
                 needed to produce a Kate Bush recording.

    Really, does it matter? I realize that there are legitimate reasons
for some musicains to announce their sexual preference, either for
political reasons (Tom Robinson, Phranc) or because they see a need for
heros for young gay and lesbians searching to define their sexual
identity. But really, after a initial embrassing start being sold to the
public as a sex symbol, Kate has labored to keep her personal life
private; not because she has "something to hide," simply that she feels
the need to keep some part of her life to herself. Kate differs from
many, perhaps most, "Pop Stars" in this. Madonna, has made a career of
titilating the public with her sex life, often at the cost of her music.
Kate has hidden her personal life from the public, possibly at a cost
to her popularity. Kate give the press nothing to report, and little
reason to make thing up, creating the impression that she has dropped
off the face of the earth between album releases.
    Do you *need* to know this? Does it impact your opinion of Kate's
music, or does it simply provide you with more interesting fantasy material
for those late night listening sessions? No offence, but a period of
fantasizing about Kate seems to be a part of the "larval stage" of Kate
fandom. It would be interesting to take a poll and find out how many
fans (male *and* female) have had sexual fantasies about Kate. I'll
confess that I had several during the first couple of years. I was a
virgin when I first heard Kate, and frankly, once I lost my virginity
real, available women took precidence over distant fantasy women, no
matter how appealing.

                           Chris Williams of
                              Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                 chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)