Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Caterwaul

From: mojzes@tiger.vill.edu (brni)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1993 03:30:41 GMT
Subject: Re: Caterwaul
Expires: Sat, 1 May 1993 04:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu

In article <J0ZR3B1w165w@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us> nrc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (N. Richard Caldwell) writes:

>We recently got a merchandise catalog from IRS records.   On one page
>they have a listing of cut-outs that they're clearing out for $5 each.
>One of those listed is Caterwaul's _Portent Hue_.  They go on to explain
>that although many cut-outs probably deserve to end up in the cheap
>bins at truck stops, these particular CDs are really very good and
>deserve to be heard.  Right!  So why did they drop them from the label?
><sigh>

tax purposes.  with current tax laws, companies are taxed not only on
what they sell, but also on what they don't sell.  so when tax time
comes around, they have to do an inventory of their unsold stock, then
pay tax on it *as if they sold it*, and then they have to pay taxes on
it again when they actually *do* sell it.  this is the reason why
academic text prices have skyrocketed (since they don't tend to sell
in the same volumes as danielle steele "novels" and sit around in stock
for years) and why a lot of the finer books in life have all been
made out of print (aka shredded).

>If anyone has looked for this but hasn't found it, I can send you the
>info to order it.  $5 plus p&h is probably more than you'll pay at
>your local cut-out bin but at least you'll finally have _Portent
>Hue_, the music that doesn't get soggy in milk.
>
>Of course, this brings me to my semi-annual request for info on
>Caterwaul and whether they've made any progress on getting another
>record contract...

i've never heard of caterwaul, but it seems to me that if more musicians
start going the route of happy rhodes, pere ubu and daevid allen
(releasing their own stuff and getting fans to organize their promotion)
the music industry will undergo a trememdous change.

>"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
>                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
>                                  nrc@bsbbs.Columbus.OH.US
brni
ZZ