Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Life's Too Short etc - Reply

From: nrc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 01:42:37 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Life's Too Short etc - Reply
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

s0pdfm@exnet.co.uk (P D Fitzgerald-Morris) writes:

> The reason for my post was very simply that in KBfandom, generally,
> in my experience, people are quite nice to each other, and protective
> of Kate too. Quaint, isn't it? Ed Suranyi patiently explains to me
> that it isn't quite that way in usenet land. So be it. I've had my
> twopenn'th.

You have to understand that your experience doesn't include anything
like Love-Hounds.  Nothing even close.  Love-Hounds, and USENET in
general are unlike any other kind of fan forum.  It's not a limited
circle of friends, it's not a big bunch of fans who might get together
every once in a great while and it's not a bunch of fans who sit
quietly at home waiting for their next dose of one-way Kate info.

Love-Hounds is hundreds of people who have to get along day-in, day-
out, year after year.  These people don't necessarily have anything
in common except that they love Kate's music.  Is it so surprising
that someone will from time to time get a little irritable because
Jon left the toilet seat up again, or because Jorn is in front of
the TV sobbing again because Wylie Coyote still isn't getting any
respect from Road Runner?

I think it's a fallacy to assume that since we have differences of
opinion, sometimes very *loud* differences of opinion, that there
is no sense of community here.  Year after year Love-Hounds spawns
a variety of Katemas and other Kate-related get togethers.  It's
not unusual for people from different sides of these little brouhahas
to meet up at these get togethers and treat each other like normal
human beings.

Differences of opinion don't have to become personal differences.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  nrc@bsbbs.Columbus.OH.US