Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: What's the deal?

From: Richard Moynes <MOYNES_R%PCSDEV.dnet@eismv3.dofasco.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1993 19:36:52 EST
Subject: re: What's the deal?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Apparently From: feygin@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Alexander Feygin)

>I stumbled apon _Warpaint_ at the public library, and checked it
>out.  It didnt do much for me...  the music seemed very cheesy--
>like played on a cheap keyboard and the voice didnt impress me
>much.

  My thoughts exactly!  At least the first time I listened to it.  But now I'm
recommending it and I want to check out some more.  Since your local library
has it, why don't you sign it out and give it a few more tries?  Some of my
very favorite music is stuff that I didn't like when I first heard it.  When
I "discovered" Sarah McLachlan through a Muchmusic spotlight just over a year
ago, there were two songs I liked (Steaming and Into the Fire), two I kind
of liked (Vox and Drawn To the Rhythm) and I used to fast-forward over
Ben's Song.  The songs I really liked were on different CDs and I couldn't
decide which one to get first.  Since I hadn't bought any CDs for a while, I
decided "what the hell, I'll get them both".  I took them home and played
them and immediately thought "Oh man, I just wasted 40 bucks".  I gave them
a few more tries and the rest is history.  My tape of Touch and Solace spent
about 8 months in my car's tape deck until it was finally bumped by the tape
of her Live EP.  It's only in the last month or so that I've stopped listening
to her every day, and that's probably just because her music is so burned into
my subconcious that I don't have to anymore.  (NOTE: this is not an invitation
to start another magic/science thread but if anyone is following the other one
I hope they'll post a summary of the best "underwater Alka-Seltzer factory"
lines for the rest of us :-) ).
  Of course different strokes for different folks still applies, so you might
not like her even after a few more listens, but "don't give up" so easily is
all I'm saying.

Richard

--
Richard Moynes                             Not speaking for
moynes_r@qis.dofasco.ca                    Dofasco Inc., Hamilton, Ont.