Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Magic 103: soft vs hard media

From: jorn@chinet.chi.il.us (Jorn Barger)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 02:40:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Magic 103: soft vs hard media
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

jondr@sco.COM (Castrated Art-rapist) slags:

> [...] Any good mysticist will tell you that CDs
> are made of a formulation that is absolutely splendid for recording
> psychotropic vibrations in the noosphere.

This is quite an imaginative angle of attack-- if there's any truth to
what I'm saying, vibes ought to be *marketable*.  You ought to be able to
create artifacts that carry an imprint of the artist's good vibes.

But if you think about it, that's *generally* the appeal of objects of
original art: what makes them more valuable than reproductions is that
x-factor 'shine'.  When I bought a wall-hanging that looked great in the
gallery, I had pangs of anxiety that once I got it home it might 'turn
ugly' on me, but... (knock wood, I'll say no more ;^)

> The technical name for this process is "glomping", as in, "Dammit,
> these dang thoughtforms have glomped up my prized CD collection!  Now
> every time I listen to ``Whitney Houston's Lamest Hits,'' I recall the
> time I passed a major kidney stone!"

Jonni, I'm sure *your* thoughtforms instantly glomp up everything you
touch!  (It's called karma ;^)  I never expected *you'd*  have noticed
the subtle sort of thing I'm talking about.  To be literal, though,
physical pain is different from emotional pain-- less *ennobling*, for
example.  I wouldn't expect it to work the same way.

> Of course, this process won't work with Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs
> gold-plated CDs because gold is entirely unsuitable for recording
> mental impressions.  Gold *is* favored by some mystic circles, who use
> gold-plated gongs in ritual ceremonies for the accumulation of male
> sexual energy, but this is a different matter entirely.

Jonni, I'm impressed!  You set us a fine example of frankness about your
sexual dysfunction!

> Right now there's a ground-breaking lawsuit in progress.  A family in
> Nebraska is suing the Disque Amerique CD plant because they suspect
> that a disgruntled employee facing an unjust layoff deliberately
> "imprinted" several hundred "Guns 'n' Roses" CDs with "negative
> empathetic thought resonances," causing their 15 year old daughter to
> suffer extreme nightmares.

Jonni, even if you've never experienced a *tender* emotion, still you
ought to have experienced *contagious bad vibes*, the way it makes the
light look different, and food looks grosser, and everybody's complexions
have a green tinge?  (Everyone knows this, yet to speak of it is
completely outrageous!  How have they turned us against ourselves, so
deeply???)

> I recently had cause to encounter the new concern in the music
> industry for psychic phenomena when I was shopping for a plant at
> which to press my new CD.

Yes, it has been almost a week since you last gave us the rundown on
that...  (You know we're all pacing like expectant uncles...)

jorni ;^)