Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Arramaieda (Warning non KT, TA & HP stuff)

From: GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@BHPMELMSM.BHP.bhpmel04.telememo.au
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 20:02:01 +1000
Subject: Arramaieda (Warning non KT, TA & HP stuff)
To: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested), Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested), really-deep-thoughts@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Alternate-Recipient: Allowed
X400-Content-Type: P2-1984 (2)
X400-Mts-Identifier: [/PRMD=BHPMEL04/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/;BHPMELMM Mar 23 18:01:59 1993]
X400-Originator: GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@BHPMELMSM.BHP.bhpmel04.telememo.au
X400-Received: by mta bunyip.cc.uq.oz.au in /PRMD=OZ.AU/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/; Relayed; Wed, 24 Mar 1993 09:45:00 +1000
X400-Received: by /ADMD=telememo/C=au/; Relayed; Wed, 24 Mar 1993 09:40:00 +1000
X400-Received: by /PRMD=BHPMEL03/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/; Relayed; Wed, 24 Mar 1993 09:42:14 +1000
X400-Received: by /PRMD=BHPMEL04/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/; Relayed; Tue, 23 Mar 1993 20:02:01 +1000
X400-Recipients: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu, Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET, really-deep-thoughts@gradient.cis.upenn.edu

Hi all,

    I just thought I post a quick message about my birthday night out in
Sydney. My sister and her flatmate had seen this new a-cappella (almost) group
at their womens march a week before. My birthday present was a night in concert
with them, down at the Rocks in Sydeny. Their name is -Arramaieda-, it was the
name of woman in Tasmania who was noted for her haunting singing voice last
centuary.

    We got there early and set up front and centre. Got ourselves a nice meal
and listened to them sound check. Just from this little bit I could tell that
this was going to be great! The group consists of four women, their voices
encompassing the ranges from almost a bass up to alto. I find it hard to
express in words but, they harmonised perfectly!! These women must have been
working, listening and learning together for a quite a while. They fused to
create harmonics and counterpoints at every turn. Hey, do you get the feeling I
enjoyed myself! The only backing they have is clapping, foot stamps, djembe and
daraboka. Oh and at one point they invited another bloke (Greg Sheehan of the
groups Coolongobra and Utungung) got up on stage to accompany them with vocal
percussion, he's an act in himself!

    Their music moves from self compositions through African to American black
congregational. All of it either making you want to get up and do tribal dance
or sit spell bound. It was capped off with a third encore where they got the
members up from the next band to play (an all female percussion group) and they
jammed for what they called their extended version of 'Kaki Lambe', a song from
Sengal. It's an invitation to dance and we did!! :-) Hey, they even did PG's
'Shaking the Tree'. Wow what a night!

    I hear they will be playing soon in Canberra. If there are any Canberrans
reading this then as Molly says 'Do youself a favour and SEE them'!

               :  Graham Dombkins
      /\/\     :  Personal Computer Services
     / / /\    :  BHP Information Technology
    / / /  \   :  PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, AUSTRALIA
   / / / /\ \  :  A.C.N. 006 476 218
   \ \/ / / /  :  Phone       +61-42-757522 ext 6998
    \  / / /   :  Fax         +61-42-757908
     \/\/\/    :  E-mail      GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@
               :              BHPMELMSM.BHP.bhpmel04.telememo.au
               :  AppleLink   GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@=D002183@INTERNET#
               :  AppleLink   AUST0387
               :  X.400       G=GRAHAM I=GR S=DOMBKINS OU=BHPMELMSM O=BHP
               :              P=BHPMEL04 A=TELEMEMO C=AU
      "Hello Earth!!                    "I'm out chasing
       hello Earth..." - KT              nuns in the yard..." - TA