Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

rec.music.gaffa

From: Carter Bennett <carter@cmptrc.lonestar.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 93 10:58 CST
Subject: rec.music.gaffa
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Brazil OST - Review/Track List
Sender: carter@cmptrc.lonestar.org
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1993 16:57:59 GMT

In article <1mf1bcINN6eb@lynx.unm.edu> lazlo%triton.unm.edu@lynx.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
>Well according the the Baker & Taylor catalog, the US street date for the
>"Brazil" soundtrack was *today*.  Anyone pick it up yet?  Or was this
>disc ("Brazil" OST by Michael Kamens) from a different "Brazil"?

After reading your article I stopped off at the record store and picked up
two copies - one on tape (for the car) and one on CD.

So far, I've enjoyed the soundtrack very much.  Of course, I'm a big fan
of the movie.  I don't know if a non-{KaTe/Brazil} fan would think it's
as wonderful as I do.  Essentially, if you thought the music on the film
was any good, go get a copy!  They have done an excellent job with the
recording quality.

There is a slight disappointment, though.  There are three minor tracks
where dialogue from the film has been placed over the music where it
wasn't so in the film.  Come to think of it, that may be a plus for some,
but I'm something of a purist in these matters.

Of course, the sound F/X from the movie that accompany the music on the
soundtrack aren't reproduced here.  For instance, on "The Battle" there
aren't bombs and screams and gunshots.  However, we do get some dialogue
that the music wouldn't be complete without.  For instance, just before
"Sam Lowry's 1st Dream" we get Mr. Kurtzmann as he yells, "Has anybody
seen Lowry?  Has anybody seen Sam Lowry?!!"  And not to worry - "The
Office" DOES come complete with teleprinter percussion!

Unfortunately, we seem to be missing the security force's rendition
of "Hark, The Herald Angels Sing" from the basement of Information
Retrieval.

For what it's worth, here are the tracks on the release I purchased in
Dallas on February 24.  Perhaps someone with a European release can
compare and let us know about any differences.

  1. Central Services / The Office  (1:41)
  2. Sam Lowry's 1st Dream / "Brazil"
     Vocal by Kate Bush  (2:10)
  3. Ducts  (0:42)
  4. Waiting for Daddy / Sam Lowry's Wetter
     Dream "The Monoliths Erupt"  (3:00)
  5. Truck Drive  (1:15)
  6. The Restaurant (You've Got To Say the Number)  (1:34)
  7. Mr. Helpmann  (1:14)
  8. The Elevator  (0:45)
  9. Jill Brazil / Power Station  (2:07)
 10. The Party (Part 1) / Plastic Surgery  (1:03)
 11. Ducting Dream  (1:53)
 12. Brazil - Geoff Muldaur  (3:26)
 13. Days and Nights in Kyoto - The Party (Part 2)  (1:18)
 14. The Morning After (1:46)
 15. Escape?  (1:03)
 16. The Battle  (4:30)
 17. Harry Tuttle - "A Man Consumed By Paperwork"  (1:50)
 18. Mother's Funeral / Forces of Darkness  (1:44)
 19. Escape!  No Escape!  (2:26)
 20. Bachianos Brazil Samba  (2:51)

I would point out that tracks 14 - 20 are a continuous piece, but with
indexed on the CD as separate "entry points."

Also, there is no difference between the Cassette and CD releases, as some
record companies are fond of releasing.

Cheerio!
--
Carter R. Bennett, Jr. - Scientist | "Oh my God!  I _AM_ a nerd!!!"
carter@scilab.lonestar.org - home  | - C. Bennett, Sept 25, 1992, after