Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: mtt@alaska.et.byu.edu (Dave Stirling)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 93 21:15:08 -0700
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>From: mtt@news.byu.edu (Dave Stirling)
Subject: Re: Clannad descriptions
MessageID: <C2xqH6.D2H@news.byu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 04:15:06 GMT
XNewsreader: TIN [version 1.1 PL8]

Jon Wright (pages!bigdog!jon@uunet.uu.net) wrote:
: I know this might've been posted before, but if anybody has a brief description
: of Clannad's works, particularly later ones, I'd appreciate it.  My collection
: has so far been enriched by Clannad 2 and Anam (thanks, Cindy), and I'd like to
: get more recent vintage goodies.  Thanks.

The following is a list of Clannad albums that start with "Magical
Ring."  To my understanding, all albums preceding magical ring are of
the celitc/tradtional type, (ie Clannad 2).  If you're interested in
music like Clannad 2, try Fuaim, Crann Ull and Dulaman.

Magical Ring (1983)
Legend (1984)
Macalla (1985)
The Collection (1986?)
Sirius (1987)
The Angel and the Soldier Boy (198?)*
Atlantic Realm (1988)*
pastpresent (1989)
Anam (1990) [1992, US domestic release]
Themes (1986)

Maire Brennan  "Maire" (1992)

* = soundtrack

Notes:

The dates are from memory, so no flames please if they're
inaccurate...

Most of these are available via RCA.  The exceptions are the
soundtracks, "The Collection" and "Themes", which is available thru
KTel.  I cannot recall which label "The Collection" is on.

The first 3 albums are in my opinion the best.  "pastpresent", "The
Collection" and "Themes" are all compilation/bestofs.  I recommend
"pastpresent" for a good crosssection of the postMagical Ring
albums.  As far as I can recall, the two soundtracks are almost
entirely instrumental.  The import (1990) release of Anam does not
include the two "bonus tracks"  Theme from Harry's Game (which
also appears on 4 other CDs and a Volkswagon commercial) and In a
Lifetime, which also appears on Macalla, but the photos are better :).

There is also a video compilation, also called "pastpresent" that
includes a few vids of some of the songs on the CD as well as quite a
few interviews, and one "new" song  Hourglass.  This may be hard to find.

The only bestof/compilation to feature new material (ie not available
anywhere else) is "pastpresent"  two songs, three if you count the
one in the video.

Maire Brennan is the lead singer of Clannad.  Her solo debut, "Maire"
is HIGHLY recommended.

Dave Stirling		(email:mtt@alaska.et.byu.edu)

	  ...standard disclaimers apply...

Dave Stirling (email: mtt@alaska.byu.edu)