Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Odds & Sods comment

From: dlangs%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 29 Jan 1993 22:00:18 GMT
Subject: Re: Odds & Sods comment
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

robh@cyberspace.org (Robert Henderson) writes:
> In article <1jq44bINNsdg@pandora.sdsu.edu> dlangs%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford) writes:
> >I noticed while perusing through the winter issue of Homeground the comments
> >about the cancelled pre-Christmas release of the boxed set b-sides CDs.
>
> Yes, I'd been wondering about this...
>
> >Apparently EMI were thinking about it but after consulting with HG staff
> >cancelled the idea because HG felt such a release, while being welcomed
> >by many, would anger those who bought the box solely for the "odds & sods"
> >CDs.
>
> AAAAAAAAAAAH!  NO NO NO NO NO!  I could actually have HAD those songs
> on CD, and now they won't release to spare someone's feelings?!?

When the set was released many of us were quite peeved to say the least about
the formulation of the set.  Most people on Gaffa already had all her albums
on CD with many, including myself, purposely buying the UK imports. IED and
I had sent a letter to EMI advising them of the need to make the album CDs
special with added tracks or special boxed set edition booklets but nothing
of the sort was done.  We essentially paid on average $175 for two new CDs,
a box and some stickers.  Yes, my feelings have been spared by this decision.
Even if they had been released separately they would no doubt cost some $25
each on this side of the pond.

> >After all, how much do people spend on CDs a month?  Spread $150 out over
> >a few months and I bet that it compares favorably with most people's
> >CD spending habits.  A few months of discipline should make it afforable to
> >all with CD players.  As we all know, it's not the cost of the player that
> >is expensive - its the cost of feeding it!
>
> Seriously?  I spend about $10 on CDs every other month.  At that rate,
> it'd take, let's see, two and a half years of not buying any other CDs.
> Only a year and a half if I sold my other KaTe CDs.  Great.

I am wondering if you are serious!  $10 every two months?  How do you survive?
Can you really afford to have a CD player?  Even at $50 it would take you
almost a year to save for the odds & sods CDs.  I don't want to seem
insensitive but my income as a Grad student is no great shakes yet I still
can afford to buy two or three CDs a month.

> Is there someone I can write to about getting "Odds and Sods" released
> anyway?  EMI-UK, Columbia, somebody?  Anybody?

There's always plastic  :)   BTW Columbia don't have rights to anything on the
first 5 albums so that would be a waste of time.

> Rob Henderson, the manic yet impoverished KateFan

My apologies again as I do not know your personal situation but it still
strikes me as being very odd that someone having access to Internet through
a private organisation and having computer skills cannot afford a lifetime
investment of $154. Where are your priorities :) ?

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University