Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWW on ice

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 93 10:53:20 -0800
Subject: Re: TWW on ice
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1993Jan24.023042.22422@eaglet.rain.com>:
>Once again, Rosalynn Sumners skated in competition to "This Woman's
>Work" as musical accompaniment.  Might be fun to see her do this
>routine at next year's winter games should she make it that far.
>
>John Zimmer
>johnz@eaglet.rain.com

If by "next year's winter games" you mean the Winter Olympics, then
she won't be able to use this song unless the rules are changed.  Songs
with vocals are not permitted at the Olympics, or indeed at any
amateur figure skating championships (e.g. the World Championships).
Rosalyn Sumners was in the Olympics quite a while ago (1984, I believe),
so she's almost certainly professional now.  The show you saw was most
probably a competition among professionals, where vocal music IS allowed.

I know that the rules governing who is eligible to compete in the
"amateur" competitions is changing now, so some people who are
professionals will probably be able to compete at the next Olympics.
But I have heard nothing about changes to the rules that determine
permissible music.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov