Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: An American Renewal (of the PMRC)

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1993 02:47:07 GMT
Subject: Re: An American Renewal (of the PMRC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@wakinyan.uchicago.edu (News System)

In article <aJmqXB3w165w@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us> tipper@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Tipper Gorebot) writes:

>Dear Concerned Citizen,
>
>In view of the drunken debauchery that has marked the coming of the new
>administration, I thought it important to remind concerned parents that
>we at the Parents Music Resource Center remain determined to safeguard
>the morals of the youth of this country.  It's unfortunate that Bill and
>Hillary Clinton may have sent the wrong message by exposing Chelsea to
>a virtual pagan orgy on MTV on inauguration day.  It's important to
>remember, though, that Bill Clinton does not always mean what he says
>or even what he does.

   I'm flattered. Uh, Richard (I assume)...I *hope* you warned the
humorless dweebs at the American Association of Them Heavy People.

   For those tuning in late, I posted the original parody as
"tipper@pmrc.ica.fib" and the Kate fanzine Homeground printed it
without comment. Some folks in Ohio, publishing a fanzine called
"Little Light" with an independent fan club called the AATHP, actually
*TOOK IT SERIOUSLY*!! They then wrote to the PMRC complaining about
their picking on Kate. A several month flame war then ensued, with
a lot of harsh words all around.

                                      Chris Williams
                                         chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu
                                         katefans@chinet.chi.il.us