Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ecto

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 93 01:47:04 EST
Subject: Re: Ecto
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I_SW@zis.ziff.com (Sam Warren) writes:

>Alright, I went to Sam Goody's and found that they had 4 Happy Rhodes CD's (I,
>II, Rearmament and Ecto).  I decided to buy Ecto.  Loved it.  BUT, here's a
>question that's making me crazy.  All of the cover pictures (except Rearmament)
>are pretty demonic.  I was half-expecting this Happy Rhodes person to be like
>Diamanda Galas.  I was almost afraid to listen.  How come someone with such a
>pretty voice has such ugly artwork on her covers?  Another frustrating point
>for me was that there was no picture of her.  I do have an imagination, but
>that's beside the point.  Anybody know what she looks like?

She's on the cover of _Warpaint_ although she doesn't really look the
same in real life. She has long blonde hair with bangs, her face is long
and narrow and quite distinctive. The Warpaint photo makes her look
somewhat hard-edged and angular, but in person she's very beautiful.
If you have ftp access, look in the hardees.rutgers.edu pub/hr/gifs
for promo.gif (I think that's wht it's called) and you can see what
the real Happy looks like. It's a beautiful photo.

Those are Happy's eyes on the cover of Rearmament, btw.

About the monsters...she painted them. Monsters are her friends, and
real or imagined monsters abound in her lyrics. Pay no attention to
the covers though, it's what's inside that counts. If you do love
Ecto, and Rearmament when you get it, then the others are must-haves
too. Glad you found her! (In Sam Goody...! Will wonders never cease!)

Her 6th album is due out February 9th.

>BTW, thanks to all the Ectophiles who got me so intrigued that I finally rushed
>out (literally, right after work) and got one of her albums.  Tonight I'm going
>back for Rearmament (because it's a simple black and white cover with no
>demons).  My favorite tracks on Ecto are "Off From Out From Under Me", "E.
>Mortal", "Ecto" and the third song, which quotes liberally from "A Midsummer
>Night's Dream" and whose name eludes me for the moment.  I've listened to the
>album twice, and will probably listen all weekend.  Thanks again Vicki and the
>rest of the Ectophiles.  Guess I'll be subscribing to that list now!

C'mon over! (You're welcome)