Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ure says bush is genius - film at 11

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 93 15:52:35 PST
Subject: ure says bush is genius - film at 11
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Sender: jondr@sco.COM

so y'all remember the kate/midge ure duet "sister and brother" right?
i don't know if i ever saw this quote from ure posted before.  if it's
a repeat, tough luck.

	Another magic moment was the duet with Kate Bush "Sister and
	Brother." Ure paints this song of sexual equality with overly
	broad rhetorical strokes, but Bush's impassioned pleas almost
	pull it off. "In the music industry you meet some not very
	nice people, some very strange characters," says Ure
	disgustedly. "They seem to be these sexist assholes.  They
	will listen to a girl's tape and think it's fantastic and
	really love it and say `What's she look like?'  Who cares what
	she looks like!  You know, `Is the tape good, are the songs
	good, is there talent there?'"

	The fact that they never sang together, or for that matter,
	were never in the studio together except to hear a rough mix,
	strikes Ure as another metaphor for the equality message of
	the song. "Well I don't think you have to be together," he
	says defensively. "I mean it also shows that you can be
	incredibly equal.  She's sitting in her little technical world
	and I'm sitting in my little technical world.  And I have the
	utmost respect for everything she does.  I think she is
	brilliant on all levels and she's touching genius, absolutley
	brilliant.  I consider her to be equal to any musician, any
	producer, any writer that I've admired.  So that strengthens
	the idea of the song to me."

Jon Drukman (God's personal DJ)                 uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Milk, you practically entombed that old bag with spew and puke!  TERRIFIC!