Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Sensual World

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 23:42:20 GMT
Subject: Re: The Sensual World
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <1992Dec1.161214.17916@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> awalsh@mta.ca (Andrew Walsh) writes:

>The only thing that bugs me about this album is the overuse
>of the Eastern harmonies like at the end of Deeper understanding.
>They tend to get a leetle bit irritating. Still love This Woman's
>Work, tho. Gotta see "She's Having A Baby" to see how it fits in.
>BTW, does TWW have a video? I seem to remeber seeing it once.

>  ______________________________________________________________
>  I "I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now."I
>  I                - TMBG, "Lucky Ball & Chain"                I
>  I                  "Get three coffins ready."                I
>  I          - Clint Eastwood, "A Fistful Of Dollars"          I
>  I Andrew Walsh/Batman/The Phantom/Nightshade | awalsh@mta.ca I
>  I <<<<<<<It's all the same, yet completely different.>>>>>>> I
>  --------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it does.  I don't like it, either.  It's very dark, and feels full of
despair and melancholy.  True, the song is pretty heavy, and is about being
on the "outside" of a wondrous occurrence, but to me the video has more of a
dry, detached sorrow than the wet, teary, painful, GIVE ME THESE MOMENTS
BACK anguish that I get from the song.  But that's just my interpretation;
I'm not too objective because I want to cry just thinking about it.

But if you catch sight of the video, you'll know it by its shadowy cuts from
one image to another.  Interesting stuff, despite my lack of empathy with
it.

Drewcifer
* Andrew David Simchik, a.k.a. Drewcifer ***************  SCHNOPIA! *******