Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

When I Discovered The New World (of KaTeness)

From: david@softwords.bc.ca (David Hume)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 92 19:55:51 GMT
Subject: When I Discovered The New World (of KaTeness)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: david@softwords.bc.ca (David Hume)

I have MuchMusic here in Canada to thank... it was when "Hounds of Love"
came out, the very first I ever saw and heard was the RUTH video. I
remember thinking, "hmmm, neat song, and what an interesting way to
interpret it thru modern dance" - somehow despite the fact she was not
actually singing I just knew/assumed the female dancer was Kate (this
unique approach probably impressed me too).

What hooked me into finally getting the album was the next video,
"Cloudbusting", still my favourite all time video, telling a story
as it did as well as being a wonderful song (I later took Peter Reich's
book out of the library too, so much a favourite is this tune). Of course
I was very impressed with the HoL album, especially the Ninth Wave concept
side (and this was before I even really knew what the concept was) - so
much better than mainstream stuff...

And perfect timing really, because the next album release was "The Whole
Story", which from a singles point of view exposed me to the body of her
whole work, thus I knew I had become a Kate fan, and went on from there...

And from there, I have THIS GROUP to thank for, besides learning more
about Kate and meeting some great people at a Katemas, getting me to discover
Tori (Little Earthquakes *easily* my favourite album of the last year) as
well as trying out Happy and hearing some other names I must attempt soon.
And of course when I realized people liked Sarah and Loreena too, I knew
I'd found some kindred spirits  :->

* David E. Hume		! "I've seen a part of people that I really never  *
* david@softwords.bc.ca !   want to share... I've seen a part of people    *
* Softwords		!   that I never knew was there...                 *
* Victoria, BC, Canada  !  Give them shelter from the coming storm..."     *
*			!		- Sarah McLachlan                  *