Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTe's Literary influence

From: marc@owlnet.rice.edu (Marc Bennett Hirsh)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1992 22:52:23 GMT
Subject: KaTe's Literary influence
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@rice.edu (News)

In article <a7303dbf@waltham.columbus.oh.us>, scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine) writes:
|> > By the way, what's the opinion of "Houdini"?  It's one of my absolute
|> > favorites.  Everybody?
|>
|> Incredible song! Just as "Wuthering Heights" inspired me to read the
|> novel, and "Cloudbusting" inspired me to read "A Book of Dreams,"
  ^^^^^^^

So I'm not the only one. I too decided that perhaps I should read "Wuthering
Heights" to figure out what the hell Kate was singing about. I picked it up
in the summer before my senior year in high school and couldn't put it down.
I may have been the only 16 year old American male to ever have that happen.
An astounding book. It's become my favorite book ever. When my chemistry
teacher asked everybody in our class that year what the last good book we
read was, nobody would believe that:
 a) I LIKED "Wuthering Heights", and
 b) I read it completely on my own, with no requirement for school.
But I know better. So now maybe I should read "Ulysses?"

--
Marc Hirsh (marc@owlnet.rice.edu)

"Now I'm telling the computer that I will share the prize with it if it tells
  me where the rest of the tickets are. (pause) It says, `What would a
  computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate?' (pause) Right. Now I'm
  telling the computer EXACTLY what it can do with a lifetime supply of
  chocolate..."
   --- snappy end-of-file sign-off quote from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate
        Factory, a fun place to be

\ /
 ^ --- ugly red source of all evil, joy, joy