Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First Kate experience

From: Gord Locke <glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.CA>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 92 13:55:20 GMT-3:30
Subject: First Kate experience
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

	[Note: Though I usually read the rec.music.gaffa newsgroup, I am
mailing this message directly to the love-hounds address, because it's
annoying to post an article, and for it to end up without a subject
line.  Having to mail is no great inconvenience, but if this problem
could be fixed, maybe more people who encounter this problem with the
gateway-thingee would be encouraged to contribute to the discussions.]

	I'm enjoying the on-going discussion of how youse guys ('n gals)
first got into Kate.  My own experience follows:
	Round about 1985 when "Running up that Hill" became popular over
on this side of the Atlantic, I heard the tune on the radio and was
hypnotised by that unique combination of the driving back-beat and that
bizarre synthesizer noise.  This was like nothing I'd ever heard before.
And her voice!  Blew me away.  Not to mention the lyrics -- while the
"meaning" (totally subjective, as we all know =^) ) was difficult to
exactly cipher, they just "sounded good," which I think is more
important than them having a deep meaning.  At the time, my interests
were towards Top-40 stuff, so when this hit it big, the scales fell off
my eyes, as I was first introduced to REAL music.  Then I saw the video
... hoo hah!  In my early post-pubescence, the sight of Kate in this clip
... well, let me just say I was impressed!
	To this day, even though I've since gotten a hold of every
other record (multiple copies at that), Hounds of Love remains my
favorite, and RUTH my fave song.  RUTH also helped to wean me from the
pablum I'd been accustomed to listening to on the radio / watching on
the idiot box, and to transform me into the fashionably cool, urbane and
musically-correct pretentious prick I am now. =^)  I'd say most North
Americans my age got their first listen to Kate via the not-successful-
enough success RUTH received that year.
--
   Gord Locke, a.k.a.    |    "I'm not an       | "The Universe is so big
glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca | Internet address ... | I get dizzy when I think