Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate and sick ideas

From: hcresnic@midway.uchicago.edu (hugh carney resnick)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1992 18:41:38 GMT
Subject: Re: kate and sick ideas
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@wakinyan.uchicago.edu (News System)

In article <9211171220.AA03121@syrinx.umd.edu> jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:
>Someone who didn't bother putting their name at the bottom of their
>message wrote:
>
>>     There are many cases of musicians playing certain "characters" in
>>     their songs that have little or no relation to their personalities
>>     in real life.  For example, Peter Gabriel has a disturbing, haunting
>>     song called "Family Snapshot," which tells a story in the first-person
>>     tense of a political assassin, who waits with his gun for a famous
>>     person to appear so that he can kill him.  He does this, he says, to
>>     get some attention and to "be somebody."
>
>Well, sort of.
>
>The song is about a lonely little boy whose parents are approaching divorce.
>The 'assasination' takes place in his mind, a game he plays, like "Cops 'n
>Robbers" with his toy gun.  It's symbolic because Gabriel sees political
>assasins as desperate for attention, which is precisely what the boy wants--
>he wants his parents to pay attention to him instead of being so wrapped up
>in their own problems.
>
>Jeff
____
	IMHO, it not just any assassin, it's none other than Lee Harvey
Oswald. "The Governor's car is not far behind, he's not the one I've got
in mind." Wait, maybe I'm wrong.... Any thoughts can be mailed to me, 'cause
this isn't really a Katetopic.

hugh

P.S. Yes, this is my first post, thanks to all you Katefans out there for
	  Hugh C. Resnick (hcresnic@midway.uchicago.edu)
"Is it my 500th birthday? Well, that's none of your Busnois."