Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate/Sexual Orientation

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 92 06:33:36 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate/Sexual Orientation
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <17406.9211132148@daiches.cogsci.ed.ac.uk> rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.UK writes:

>In article <1992Nov11.171030.22586@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>, andrew david simchik (ads) writes:

>ads> Reasons why gay/bi/les people are possibly more abundant among Katefans:

>ads> 1.)  Content.  Ever listen to mainstream music?  I try not to.
>ads> But note that there is *no place* for homosexual and bisexual
>ads> lyrics among the mainstream fare.

>Soft Cell.

>Frankie Goes to Holliwood.

>Cyndi Lauper.

>David Bowie.

>Right Said Fred.

>All of those are pretty damn mainstream.

>Ps. What amazes me is the lack of queer women on this subject. Maybe
>	they're just much quieter than the men, but that would
>	contradict all of my experience :-).

>--
>rjc@cogsci.ed.ac.uk				_O_
>						 |<

Queer women?  Check out the ones I mentioned: Sophie B. Hawkins, Madonna.
If you consider the artists you named to be explicit, you might also think
about including k.d. lang.  Or Phranc.  And leaving the mainstream, there's
always a slew of bands in the alternative area.

Mainstream?  Bowie, sure.  Right Said Fred...um, I should have qualified
with "intelligent" music.  Cyndi...I admit I don't know her very well, but
if you mean "She Bop", I disagree.  That makes "Whip It" homoerotic.  I'll
give you Frankie, but then they were like Depeche, alternative crossovers.
Soft Cell I know nothing about...can't be *that* mainstream, can they?

In any case, the only *truly* "mainstream" person you mentioned was Bowie,
and we always knew about him--same with Elton John.  But the original thrust
of my argument was that gay lyrics are a rare exception among popular music,
which is really really unusual considering the number of gbl musicians I
know.

Drewcifer