Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Reminisce

From: moorsa@rpi.edu (Alan E. Moorse)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 22:26:06 GMT
Subject: Re: Reminisce
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: alan.moorse@usenet.rpi.edu

My first Kate contact was, of all places, aboard USS Nimitz in the Indian
Ocean. I had just come off watch, and arrived in our berthing lounge to
find that "Saturday Night Live" was playing (sent out to the ship on tape,
of course). There was Kate doing "Them Heavy People."

I wrote a card home to my apartment-mate and told him to buy whatever he
could find by her. This was a system we had -- I sent orders and occasionally
checks for my purchases, and he bought 'em, taped 'em, and sent 'em. I got
TKI, with Crack the Sky's "White Music" on the flip side. I still have the
tape. It was part one of a major musical change for me.

The song that finally did me in, though, was "Army Dreamers." And with
"Night Scented Stock" and "Breathing" on the same album! Luckily for me,
Never for Ever didn't come out until I was almost out of the USNavy --
my opportunity to walk came just about the time my pacifism solidified.
Whew!

To change the subject: I just recently heard about Happy Rhodes and bought
"Warpaint." The address for correspondence in the CD case lists an address
in Albany, N.Y., about 6 miles from here, but I've never seen a performance
listing for her. Is *she* based in upstate/central New York, and does she
perform anywhere regularly?

alanm

I have a friend in Phobos. Sometimes I think I'm almost... there. HR