Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ticket off

From: hasn@midway.uchicago.edu (Sheheryar Hasnain)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 21:57:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Ticket off
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@wakinyan.uchicago.edu (News System)

In article <RXN6TB5w165w@netlink.cts.com>, lionhart@netlink.cts.COM (Jackie Zucconi) writes:
 Call me a stoic but I don't think one's plight in life gives an
> excuse to victimize another whether it's the card holder, a store or
> Kate. If something's wrong then fix i, don't add to it which is what
> theft does.

Capitalism and the concept of "accumulation of capital"  has had many
victims.  Theft is merely an opposite:  It does not have to be done by
a poor starving soul to be classified as a reaction/strike against the
system, anyone can do it.  But remember that striking back at the
system has risks.  I believe that if someone is prepared to accept those
risks, fine.  I dont believe that there is something intrinsically
sacred about "private property" so that its violation should be
considered morally wrong.  It is unfortunate that making music,
or creating a painting is currently so tied into money/currency
that issues such as copywriting etc basically govern who gets
to enjoy those resources (which inturn is governed by our racist/
sexist/homophobic societies).  Theft puts the system in spin, which
I personally enjoy the concept of.  However it is unfortunate when
the "real" victims happen to be honest ethical busness people (I hope
you didn't take my comments as a personal affront since I do
sympathise with you).

>I also think you idealize Kate a bit too much. I could care
> less if she stole candy as a child but I have my reservations she would
> condone such behavior in adults, and on a much more pricey scale ---
> remember Kate herself has been a victim of burglarly. Have you ever been
> robbed in any manner? If you have try to recall that feeling of emptiness
> and hopelessness, not because you no longer have a material possession
> but because a violation had been committed against you.

I've had my apt broken into and stuff stolen and I wanted to kill the thief!
I agree with you completely.  However I don't idealize Kate Bush at all.
I've heard good stuff about her which has further drawn me to her music.
But I'm merely a listener.  I like what her words say, and assume her
character a bit.  And having lived in London on and off during my
childhood I pictured a pretty rebelious child (I met many "rebels" in
London as a kid, one of whom stole my bike:(.....still remember it ).

I know the risks
> of being in business, they're just like the risks involved in breathing,
> eating, sleeping...life is a risk. I will make a sweeping moral statement
> about stealing being bad; it's about time people took responsibility for
> their own actions instead of finding scape goats as to why they acted
> liek a child (taking candy?).

Even though I disagree with you about "good" vs "bad", I understand
where you're coming from.  I will add that business is a greater risk
than life in general.....9 out of 10 businesses fail in a year!

Good Luck.