Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: gold records questions

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 18:12 CST
Subject: Re: gold records questions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris here,

>Chris answered my question about gold records:
>
>>     * You can buy almost any recently awarded gold record
>>     from the RIAA.

>Are these those that are actually presented to the artists
>or do these just look the same? What is the RIAA?

   Exactly the same item. The (I believe) Recording Industry Association
of America.

>>     * Record companies order them by the dozen and give
>>       them away to big
>>       record stores, radio stations, coke dealers, etc.

>And to those who appear on the records. Any way to decide
>which one of these is the one that lies before you?

   Only if it is framed, and specifically inscribed to that artist, with
the date of presentation _and_ some other means of authentication.

>>     * They aren't actually _made_ of gold, just
>>     electroplated vinyl.

>then buying a single and melting it would be a winner, at least
>for a while ;-) Have you ever used a blue Mauritius as just
>a bit of paper?

    Huh?

>>     * The "Gold Record" isn't even an actual copy of the
>>       record awarded.
>>       It's just some record that the plating plant uses.
>>       Really. Whenever I see a "gold record" I count the
>>       bands. I've yet to find _one_ that matches the
>>       number of bands on the record to tracks on the label.

>Is that true for those that are presented to the artists?

   Sad but true. All "gold" records are the same. A copy presented to
the artist, a copy presented by the artist to a radio station, the
copy presented by a record company exec to a large retailer...exactly
the same.

>>     * The gold or platinum plating _ruins_ the sound.

>or your record player needle... But: would you really PLAY such a
>valuable item? Or would you just take the CD with the same
>song and don't reduce the value of your Kateollection?

   Several recording artists _have_ attempted to play their "gold
record" (usually with the help of their friend Jack Daniels.)

   Wanna know something even sillier? The recent "Gold CD" award
popping up these days? Every one of these items I have seen close
up, has turned out to be a _data_ CD, not even a music CD. How
can you tell? Large areas of "frame lines." Music CDs don't have
these lines. Data CDs are often gold plated to increase their life.

   So the plant doesn't even bother to specially plate a CD, they
just grab some extra test CD of some company's database, print
a custom label on them and viola!

>All these things are questions, not some sign of deeper knowledge,
>but a sign of deeper understanding - noooo, a sign of deeper
>curiosity.

   Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but a "Gold Album" should only
be considered valuable in the sentimental sense. The cost to buy
one? Last I heard (a while ago) ~$400.00 new. The ones that appear
on the market usually come from radio stations that have changed
their format; rock one day, country the next. The outgoing station
manager usually grabs them off the wall as he goes out.

>Bye,
>Uli

                              Chris Williams of
                              Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago