Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@lgc.com
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 13:01:58 -0600
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: gene@lgc.com (Gene Lege')
Subject: Re: Vibes
Sender: usenet@lgc.com
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 19:01:51 GMT

In article <1992Dec15.163746.24366@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:
>In <9212151108.AA00897@aida.intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de> uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:
>
>>Hi all true fans!
>
>>There's a _*S_L_I_G_H_T*_ (how can you make more emphasis without going to
>>72 point sized fonts?) Kate-reference in a film that ran last week on
>>German TV: "Vibes" (with Cyndi Lauper and Peter Falk) has a scene where
>>they are actually "Om mani padme hum"ming. Of course I know Kate has
>>not invented that, but I thought it might be of _*S_L_I_G_H_T*_ interest...
>
>>Uli
>
>I don't know if this chant is Tibetan or what.  Could someone with actual
>information let us know what its origins are?
>
>Drewcifer

It's hindu (or, perhaps, even dating back to the vedic traditions...)

"Om" and "hum" are power sylables that  are used in meditation.  They set
up and reinforce a vibratory awareness or trance.  I have also heard "Om"
described as a "self-referential subject"  In other words "I" in English.
That description misses the whole point IMHO, it means *much* more (and
*no* more :-) than that...  In fact, at a minimum, it means "I am", "It
is", "They are", "The universe is", "Being is", "Thinking is", "Feeling is",
ad infinitum.  Our bassis set leaves a little to be desired... :-)

"mani padme" translates loosely ( *I think* ) to "the jewel in the lotus"

This has spiritual significance as a symbol of birth, re-birth, life, death,
enlightenment and just about anything else in human existence.  It also
has explicit nuances of sexuality.

So "Om mani padme hum" is a meditative mantra that declares and nutures
the existential and regenerative qualities of the miracle of the process
of life.

Anyone for deep philosphical discussions of "the simultaneous thunderclap
and flow of milk from the great udder?" (:-)

Kate's use of "Om mani padme hum" in SP is interesting in that the song
is about the underlying connectedness of all things.  I've always thought
it was absolutely brilliant song.  And to think, written by a 16 year
old British school-girl.  The woman awes me.

Here's to "the beauty of rare innocence"

gl
--
Gene Lege' - Landmark Graphics Corporation - Houston, TX
glege@lgc.com