Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Vibes

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 16:37:46 GMT
Subject: Re: Vibes
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <9212151108.AA00897@aida.intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de> uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:

>Hi all true fans!

>There's a _*S_L_I_G_H_T*_ (how can you make more emphasis without going to
>72 point sized fonts?) Kate-reference in a film that ran last week on
>German TV: "Vibes" (with Cyndi Lauper and Peter Falk) has a scene where
>they are actually "Om mani padme hum"ming. Of course I know Kate has
>not invented that, but I thought it might be of _*S_L_I_G_H_T*_ interest...

>Uli

No, it's not even a _*S_L_I_G_H_T*_ Kate-reference.  Om mani padme hum is an
oft-heard chant.  This is not a Kate reference any more than it is a
reference to the Dr. Who episode "Planet of the Spiders", where they used it
incessantly to try and summon these alien spiders.

I don't know if this chant is Tibetan or what.  Could someone with actual
information let us know what its origins are?

Drewcifer
** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******
as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu