Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori--What do you really think?

From: dsr@lns598.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Daniel S. Riley)
Date: 12 Dec 1992 11:49:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Tori--What do you really think?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1992Dec11.181614.27853@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>,
as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:
> Weeeeelllll, not a minority of one, anyway.  Kate's had some lame songs on
> every album so far; Tori's produced an album with no lame songs. And I know
> that some people here do agree with me on that.

This is, again, pure opinion.  I happen to think there are *no* lame songs
on the The Dreaming or Hounds of Love.  And that there are "lame songs" on
Little Earthquakes.  What does either position (yours or mine) add to the
discussion?

> True, but it doesn't take as much talent to use new equipment and sound
> original as it does to use a piano and sound original.

But Kate doesn't just "sound original".  There is far more to turning out
an musically brilliant album like TD than setting up the latest equipment
and making funny noises with it.  Both TD and LE show real mastery of the
instruments used--and I don't see how you can claim that that command over
those instruments is somehow easier for "new equipment" than it is for the
piano.  The talents and skills required are different, but I don't see one
being lesser than the other.

> Kate's genius, I
> think, lies more in her songwriting and lyrics than in her use of
> instruments.

I disagree completely with this.  Kate's use of instruments is as at
least as brilliant as her songwriting and lyrics.

--
-Dan Riley                          Internet: dsr@lns598.tn.cornell.edu
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University     HEPNET/SPAN: lns598::dsr (44630::dsr)