Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: US Sound Quality

From: dlangs%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 11 Dec 1992 04:16:36 GMT
Subject: Re: US Sound Quality
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

GKNIGHT%PSTCC.dnet@net.Vanderbilt.Edu (Seasons Greetings!) writes:
> I was interested to see the comments in today's digest about the sound
> quality of US.  On the Gabriel list we had an extensive discussion about
> this when the cd first came out.  There was no consensus but there are many
> (myself included) who believe that something fishy is going on with this
> cd.  I came to this conclusion by comparing the quality of Digging in the
> Dirt from the CD5 to the album version.  The CD5 single version is much
> brighter and, IMHO, better sounding than the album.  My concern is that
> perhaps the problem is not with the mix done at Real World, but rather
> with the mastering process done by Geffen.  We have tried to communicate
> with Real World through an engineer in California who works with Real World
> but have heard nothing for about a month.  Any ideas from those on this list
> would be appreciated!

What does the UK CD sound like?  I have been trying to get a UK pressing
of it but no one seems to be able to get it.  Seems strange as PG himself took
intense interest in the CD mastering of So in the USA.  It almost sounds
as good as the import :)

Were Geffen allowed to do their own thing?  I'll let you nknow if I ever get a
UK copy.  Meanwhile would anyone in ol' Blighty like to post their impressions
of US vs. So.  Personally I was disappointed in the sound quality of PG IV
considering it was digital.  Sounded muddy to me compared to So.

ObKaTe:  CDinternational indicate no KaTe albums are available in the US new
anymore on CD.  I find this hard to believe.  I expect there to be copies
in stores and with distributors but can anyone confirm or deny that no more
copies are being made in the USA.  I think it is another CDI error (they say
the same for ELO's catalogue).

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University