Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori--What do you really think?

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 01:01:36 GMT
Subject: Tori--What do you really think?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

To open a topic which could conceivably start the biggest flamewars this
group has ever seen...

Tori Amos.  Now, I realize many people love to pick on her here, but I
attribute that to sheer annoyance at how often she and Kate are compared and
to the fact that, well, this is "gaffa".

My personal views are that Tori is *at least* as talented, original, and
brilliant as Kate Herself.  This is because there are times when I'm not in
the mood to listen to Kate, but I cannot recall any times when I haven't
been in the mood to listen to Tori.  Tori also pleases me with her albums
more; granted, there's only one album so far (besides WKTR), but there's
only one song out of twelve that I find less than amazing ("Me and a Gun",
for anyone who cares), whereas there are usually more than 1/12 that I find
inferior on Kate's albums.  I think Tori's a much more talented and original
pianist, making up in musical invention what she lacks in Kate's arty
lyricism and fancy.

Granted, Kate has a certain literary merit, but Tori's music is equally
fascinating, just quite different.  And *nobody* does covers like she does.

Now before you brand me TRAITOR, recall the times I have praised Kate on
this newsgroup and recall that I love her at least as much as you do.  The
point of this posting is to see what you *really* think of Tori, as opposed
to what you say in jest.  And before you say "go to reallydeepthoughts",
consider that I want the Katefan's view of Tori.  I know the Torifan's view
already.

Thank you in advance for (a) flaming maturely and not childishly, and (b)
for answering a serious question which is not intended (but is expected) to
cause an uproar.

Drewcifer
** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******
as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu