Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Houdini

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 92 22:19 CST
Subject: Re: Houdini
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1992Dec7.003705.6913@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> you write:
>This being one of my favourite KaTe songs, something
>has always bothered me.  Who is/was Rosabel?  Before
>you all jump out and say Mrs. Houdini, I know for a
>fact that Mrs. Houdini's name was Bess. (OK, Elizabeth)

   Harry promised that he would try to contact Bess from beyond the
grave. The code, "...that only you and I know" was the title of their
favorite song, _Rosabel Believe_. Kate had seen a TV documentary about
Houdini that detailed the attempts. Bess held many seances with many
different mediums attempting to contact him. At one point a medium
produced the code, but it turned out that he had obtained the code
in a non-supernatural way. Bess eventually sadly concluded that it
was impossible to communicate with the dead. Kate may be of a different
opinion, or chose to ignore the last part for dramatic reasons.

>BTW, I was talking to my brother about this song,
>He is not a KaTe fan, but is an amateur magician and
>a member of IBM (international Brotherhood of Magicians)

   Hey, my Dad was a professional magician, and I attended _many_ IBM
conventions. If I never see another card trick...

>It turns out that KaTe's idea that the key for Houdini's
>stunts is probably erroneous.  (I am talking about passing
>the key with a kiss) It was a theory that was
>once held, but has been pretty well refuted by now.

    If you have ever seen the "Die Eftling" video of "Strange Phenomena"
you would know that Kate, although a brilliant singer, songwriter and
musician, is an absolutly dreadful magician.

>Pablo
>pi@jhjunix.hcf.jhu.edu

                              Chris Williams of
                                 Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago