Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The silence is deafening!

From: Jackie Zucconi <lionhart@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 92 00:03:51 PST
Subject: The silence is deafening!
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca writes:

> Hello!
>
> Gosh (!) it's been quiet lately!  Why don't we all reminisce?  What was the
> first KaTe song everybody heard and how/where did they hear it?  Of course
> maybe you've all gone over this before, in which case someone think of
> something else.
>
> Andrea

I like this question! OK, I had heard Kate many a times but never was
aware of who it was or anything so I'll recount my first time when I was
cognizant of the fact. It was at a friends house in early '86 (Jan or so)
when she wanted to play an album that she bought as an experiement. My
first thought was "oh great she's gonna pawn it off on me to get her
money back!" Well, the first thing I heard was Jig of Life...I jumped out
of the chair..WHOA cool Irish folk! I then looked at the album and sleeve
and was immediately entranced. I asked to hear Waking the Witch, it looke
d interesting. She didn't want to play it at first but then gave in to my
demands. When I heard "go down ye red red roses..." I leaped out of my
skin, not just the chair...to think SHE, this stranger, knows that
whaling song. Well I offered my friend twice the amount she paid for the
record but she wouldn't sell it, I had to get my own...thus began
history.
                     Kateness,
                           Lionheart

--