Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (no subject given!)

From: bbaker@Novell.COM (Brad Baker)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1992 20:25:18 GMT
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@Novell.COM (The Netnews Manager)

In article <9211051821.AA12119@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> kirsten@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Kirsten Starcher) writes:
>In article <1992Nov4.202513.4183@novell.com> bbaker@na.novell.com writes:
>>
>>If you like some subset of the following artists...
>>
>>Kate Bush
>>Tori Amos
>>Sarah McLachlan
>>Jane Siberry
>>Cocteau Twins
>>10,000 Maniacs
>>'Til Tuesday
>>

>>I would highly recommend checking out a group called
>>
>>   THE INNOCENCE MISSION
>>
>>if you can find their albums.
>>
>>The first debut album is very Tori-ish.  The second album sounds
>>like a cross between the 10,000 Maniacs and the Cocteau Twins, at least
>>to me.
>>
>>- Bako -
>
>Hmmm.  Interesting.  I got this album as a review copy for the student paper
>here, and didn't like it at ALL.  I couldn't understand a word the singer was
>saying.  All the songs sounded the same, and all but one or two seemed
>practically tuneless.

Which album? I assume you are referring to their second album called "Umbrella"
I think.

As I said, it sounds kinda like the Cocteau Twins to me.  I can't understand
a word the singer of the Cocteau Twins is saying, but I still like the Heaven
Or Las Vegas album alot.  I like it for its sound and mood evoking action.
I agree that in (Umbrella) the songs sound very similar, its one of my
complaints about the album.  The other complaint is that I think it is over
engineered.  But I liked it enough to check out their debut album (no name),
which I like alot more.  The same thing happened when I heard Sarah McLachlins
latest (enjoying the debut more).

BTW, what is "tuneless" and what is a "tune".  Is is something desirable?
Should all songs have to conform to this "tune" structure?  Is recognition
of a songs lyrics important?  I can't understand much of Elvis Costello's
lyrics, yet I think most would agree that he writes great lyrics.  I've seen
many a message on this newsgroup asking for lyrics to Kate songs.

I can see not liking Umbrella, but I would have thought different reasoning
from a reader of this group (no flame intended).

- bako -