Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

All Kinds of stuff.

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 92 19:43:41 PST
Subject: All Kinds of stuff.
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        Where is everybody?  We're down to 5 messages a day or so!
ARGH! ;-)

        Thanks for all the comments on The Sensual World posting,
hopefully there will be a few more of those types of postings as I scan
through and edit the posts in Deeper understanding (the book).

        A couple of random ideas:

        There is a new (to me) book out called Women in Rock. It has
several pages on Kate.  it compares her to (I believe Debbie Harry of
Blonde, saying that Kate was able to be move beyond the image of being
a "product", wheras Debbie wasn't.  From what I read, Kate was treated
in very flattering terms.  Towards the end of Kate's part it talks
about how she has a small but devoted following here in the US.  :-)

        Getting the Lionness at Heart book reminds me of what the world
is most missing - a Kate Bush Coffeetable picture book!  The Beatles
have about a zillion of these, but all we have is Cathy, the boxed
sets, and "biographies".  What'd I like to see is a book kinda like the
boxed set, but like about 100 pages long and including pictures from
all parts of her life/career.  :-(

        I've been thinking lately that perhaps we should think about
changing the name of the "Katemas" parties.  I like the name KateFest
myself.  The reason I think this might be a good idea is that many
people might here the name "Katemas" and actually take it seriously (it
is kinda meant as a joke, isn't it?  :-), and that those people might
feel somewhat hesitant towards going to a party named that.  I myself
have always felt somewhat uncomfortable with the name.
        I don't mean to be presumptuos (?) about this, I just think
it's something we n\might want to talk about, though I don't know how
many others feel the same way.

                I was also wondering about what people would think
about have something like a REC.MUSIC.GAFFA.INFO newgroup.  What I mean
by this is like how they have on the star trek newgroups, essentially a
"very best of" for those who don't want to dredge through all the
messages on love-hounds everyday.  What I would invision this having is
just important announcements, interviews, detailed messages, etc and
not have general chit-chat, flame wars, general discussion, etc.
Maybe a message a day or around there.
        The reason I think this might be usefull, is that it seems when
people leave the newsgroup, they usually complain about there simply
being too many messages to read-through.  My personal feeling is that
we would never want to limit the messages on love-hounds at all (of
course) but that a "best of" thing might within a year or so have as
many readers as the newgroup itself does.
        I don't know how this would be implemented - newgroup or
mailing list, etc, - and I also don't know who would be in charge of
picking the most important messages, but I do think that if it could be
implimented and if someone were interested in running it, it could be
very useful and a way of keeping a lot of people reading some of the
stuff here.

        Anybody ever listen to any "environmental music".  At the price
club we sold a four-CD set for 20 bucks and I picked it up the other
day.  It's called "Interludes" and includes environmental sounds with
flutes, etc playing.  Normally I've always kind of looked down on this
stuff, but I have to admit that I kinda enjoyed it.

        Also, I got a ten-cd set of classical music.  Does anyone know
of any text files on classical music?

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA