Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: These people are not Kate-like

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: 24 Oct 92 02:35:15 GMT
Subject: Re: These people are not Kate-like
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:

>In the past I have posted a few replies to the flaming concerning non-Kate
>postings on gaffa.  I was in favor of allowing diverse postings, but now...
>		Let me make myself clear.  I don't mind the discusother
>artists on this newsgroup (obviously; and in any case it wouldn't matter if
>I did mind).  However, the preferable guideline is that they should resemble
>Kate musically in some way.  Thus we see Tori Amos and Peter Gabriel, and in
>some cases Sarah McLachlan, etc.  However, the only thing Michelle Shocked
>and Kate have in common is that they are both alternative female solo
>artists; their music could not be farther apart in genre.  Andmentioning the
>Sundays and Kate in the same sentence makes me ill; again, two totally
>different genres.
>	Admittedly,Sarah and Kate are fairly dissimilar in musical style,
>except for their use of the keyboard, but they have more in common than do
>Kate and Shiocked
>	If you're going to discuss other artists please coonsidider
>carefully whether they truly belong on gaffa.  Otherwise we may soon be
>wading through articles on k.d. lang, Sinead O'Connor, or  even (argghh) Alannah
>Myles.

Look, I have a suggestion. If anyone out there *is* interested in
other diverse, interesting, intelligent female artists, why don't you
join Ecto, where discussion about artists other than Happy Rhodes is
welcomed and encouraged. (Not to mention male artists, and just about
anything else that strikes the fancy of members, from politics to
literature.)

If you've never heard Happy's music, join Ecto and find out how to
get a sampler tape.

I am *SO* sick of this!!!!

(and no, there's never been an article about Alannah Myles, but there are
kd, Sinead, Michelle, Sarah, Jane, Sundays and like-artist fans on Ecto)
(oh, and, of course, Katefans)