Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

These people are not Kate-like

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 92 20:49:59 GMT
Subject: These people are not Kate-like
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In the past I have posted a few replies to the flaming concerning non-Kate
postings on gaffa.  I was in favor of allowing diverse postings, but now...
		Let me make myself clear.  I don't mind the discusother
artists on this newsgroup (obviously; and in any case it wouldn't matter if
I did mind).  However, the preferable guideline is that they should resemble
Kate musically in some way.  Thus we see Tori Amos and Peter Gabriel, and in
some cases Sarah McLachlan, etc.  However, the only thing Michelle Shocked
and Kate have in common is that they are both alternative female solo
artists; their music could not be farther apart in genre.  Andmentioning the
Sundays and Kate in the same sentence makes me ill; again, two totally
different genres.
	Admittedly,Sarah and Kate are fairly dissimilar in musical style,
except for their use of the keyboard, but they have more in common than do
Kate and Shiocked
	If you're going to discuss other artists please coonsidider
carefully whether they truly belong on gaffa.  Otherwise we may soon be
wading through articles on k.d. lang, Sinead O'Connor, or  even (argghh) Alannah
Myles.

--Andrew D. Simchik
who does not speak for the U oof R