Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Wow! vs Kashka?

From: finley@lambda.uleth.ca (Kent Finley)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 23:07:58 -0600
Subject: re: Wow! vs Kashka?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Kashka writes:

>>	The lyrics to "Wow!" contain a line which *sounds* like: "He's too
>>busy hitting the Vaseline".  If this is really how the lyrics go, am I
>>mistaken in assuming that Kate is establishing the "He" as a--to be
>>technical--homosexual?  If so, I wish she could have found a more appealing
>>turn of phrase.  It borders on the offensive, were I the easily offended
>>type.

and Matt replies:

>Theatre actors wear heavy make-up known as greasepaint. After the show it
>is removed by rubbing it off with vaseline. Hence "he's too busy hitting
>the  vaseline" means he is too busy back in the dressing room cleaning up
>to receive any applause/accolades etc. No dressing room with a star
>and make-up girls for him. There is no implied reference to homosexuality.

To which I say:

Check out the video, where Kate pats her rump suggestively while singing
this line.  THEN tell me there's no implied reference to homosexuality.
The make-up interpretation is certainly valid, but not exclusive--heard
of double entendre?

I personally think it's a negative reference as well, softened by the
rather positive reference in Kashka from Baghdad--no other
interpretation possible in that song, IMHO, since Kashka lives "with
ANOTHER man".  She could have written "a lonely man", "a younger man",
or any other two-syllable man to fit the meter, but she didn't.

"Kashka from Baghdad" is interesting from this standpoint.  "...no-one
knows who...", "...they never go for walks...", "Old friends never call
there..." --- all sounds a lot like what happens when people find out
someone is gay.

--
Kent Finley            | "I want to be a lawyer, I want to be a scholar,
P.O.Box 2081           |  but I really can't be bothered,