Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Caterwaul (and Psychowelders)

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: 3 Oct 92 02:53:09 GMT
Subject: Re: Caterwaul (and Psychowelders)
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

nrc@cbemf.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:

>Speaking of which, has anyone heard a status report on Caterwaul
>recently?  Last I heard they had some prospects for a new record deal
>but that was quite some time ago.

I haven't gotten a mailing or heard any information for ages.

>I was finally able to get a copy of their first, _The Nature of Things_.
>I was a bit disappointed since I don't think it even begins to measure
>up to _Pin and Web_ or _Portent Hue_.  It's sounds to me like they hadn't
>quite nailed their style down yet.  Betsy's vocals aren't up to their
>Caterwauling peak and they the lack of the the wonderfully busy little
>riffs on guitar makes the whole thing seem rather repetitive at times.

I love it as much as Pin and Web, though it's true that P&W's
production values are higher. I agree that their style roams
and the songs don't flow as smoothly as P&W. When I want to
put on a whole album to play, I choose P&W. I put on TNoT to
listen to individual songs. (Same with Portent Hue)

>The bright spot is _Diminuative Do-si-do_, which is entirely too
>short.  Program it to repeat about four times.

YES! I agree! That one and "Tickled Whale" are my favorites. I also
really like "Cinnamon Color of my Heart" and "Maeven." There isn't a
song I dislike on the album, it just depends on what kind of mood
I'm in.

It's out of print, so I'm happy for you that you found it.

There's another group that Caterwaul/Hetch Hetchy/Arson Garden fans
might want to check out. They're called Psychowelders and they've
just released a CD (their first, thought they've been releasing
tapes of their music for years) called _Inertia_.

Perhaps woj and/or Jessica and others who have the CD will step in
and give some impressions. The CD is available only by mail order.
I'll give the information, but I swear that I don't have any
financial gain in this, nor am I just trying to make the band money.
I say that because I'll admit that I know the band personally.
The lead singer used to be our downstairs neighbor when we lived
in Kansas City. Back then though, I wasn't into their music. They
were too hard-edged for me. I did like a couple songs, but wasn't
a fan at all. They've changed a little (they're not _quite_ so
jangly) and I've changed a little (I'm more used to bands like
Arson Garden and Hetch Hetchy) and now I can say that I'm a fan,
and I would be even if I'd never met the band. Honest!

The CD is $10.00 (that includes postage in the USA. I don't know what it
might cost outside America) and the address is:

Psychowelders
c/o Rhondda Francis
3815 Walnut, #1S
Kansas City, MO 64111

The CD has 11 songs on it--quite a bargain--and the packaging is
gorgeous. Until this CD came out I never seriously thought they'd
be anything but  good "local" band. But I like _Inertia_ so much
that I'd really like to see them get some attention outside of
Kansas City. Again, this isn't a "favor" I'm doing the band. I
really, really like the music!