Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Blue Pearl and Loreena McKennitt

From: meriel@milton.u.washington.edu (Lisa Anderson)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1992 16:11:18 GMT
Subject: Re: Blue Pearl and Loreena McKennitt
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@u.washington.edu (USENET News System)

uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:

>But that was not the best CD I found on that day. I also found Loreena
>McKennitt's 'The Visit' and I can really, really recommend to listen to that
>one. I would say that it is something like 'Clannad goes Pop', i.e. it has
>an Irish sound but is not too much folk or spherical oriented. Try to find
>that CD! (Warner Bros., 9 26880-2). Now I want to know: Are the other CDs
>Loreena has published equally good? As I understand from a recent article,
>she has published three other CDs. (BTW: I really 'found' the CD in my local
>CD store: They had ordered it for another customer, I took the CD to one of
>their CD players, took a listen (something you always can do there) and
>immediately repeated the order of the other customer.)
I would highly recommend at least two of her other cD's; Parallel dreams, in
my opinion, is even better than The Visit.  Elemental is much more
traditional (i.e. she sings traditional songs mostly, rather than original
compositions) but is equally as good.  Her other CD is a disc of "holiday"
(i.e. christmas) music; I don't have it.  Everything else is on Quinlan
Road Records; you'll have to find a folk music store most likely, and have
them order it for you.
-lisa