Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jessica Rules

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 92 23:33:12 PDT
Subject: Jessica Rules
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

Jessica Says:

>Actually, some of Kate's comments reminded me of something that is
>continually an issue for me. She talks about how people can spend all
>their time with the computer and have no kind of real human
>interaction at all - she's not alone in thinking that way - i find
>that most people (who do not also do the things we reading this group
>do with computers) see me at my computer, and assume that this means i

>am not experiencing any kind of human interaction. The attitude i
>invariably get from these people is that i'm doing a terrible thing -
>in the case of some people, i get real anger and misunderstanding -
>from others i just get criticism and lack of respect.

        Way to go Jessica!  I vote we put Jessica in her "Sensual
World" suit, photograph her, and place her in an add saying "not all
computer users are nerds!" Then people will see that and say, "well, if
a cutie like that can be into computers, then they can't be all bad."
:-)

        I've gotten the same type of reaction from people when I've
either told them I was into computers or when I tell them about my
Cloudbusting project - I usually just point out that for the two hours
(or more sometimes :-)  that I'm working on my computer a day doing
something active and, sometimes creative, while most people are doing
something passive, usually watching TV or the like.

        All this brings up the pen-ultimate question, is Kate into
computers?  On the one had she has this song in which the character is
a stereotype of sorts, and on the other hand she says computers could
tell us something about our spirituality.  Also, she's tended to AVOID
answering that question with skill only Kate has!  And the fact that
it's inspired by Stephen Hawking doesn't really explain the inspiration
of a "computer nerd".

Kateness,

Ron

---