Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ELTON JOHN ... Pearls Before Swine!

From: jessica@maurolycus.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: 21 Sep 92 04:31:05 GMT
Subject: Re: ELTON JOHN ... Pearls Before Swine!
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill) writes:

>        I wrote to the Elton John mailing list and asked if anyone
>could provide any quotes from Elton/Bernie about Rocket Man and Candle
>in the Wind.  A nice fellow named Ron McBay sent me these.

[ ... much deleted ... ]

>(From same) - When asked whether they stole "Rocket Man" from David Bowie's
>"Space Oddity," BERNIE: Oh no.  We didn't steal that one from Bowie. We stole
>it from another bloke, called Tom Rapp [leader of the American cult band,
>Pearls Before Swine, who had released an earlier song also called "Rocket
>Man."]

My parents have a Pearls Before Swine album - it has always been one
of my favorites, there are some really weird songs on there - the
artwork is pretty neat too - i don't remember what the cover was, but
there was a poster included with the album - something by - hmm, it's
been 10 years or so since i've *seen* the album - i remmeber how it's
pronounced but not spelled. something like hyronimous bosch.

Anyway the point is, i *love* the tape i have of that album, but not
only is it missing songs, but it is so old and over played it sounds
*terrible*! And the problem is my parents can't find the album!

Has anyone ever seen a Pearls Before Swine album? Does anyone have
one? I don't imagine there's anything available on CD :) If anyone has
one of their albums (i've no idea how many there are) would you let me
know the track listing? I'm curious as to whether the "rocket man"
song was on the album my parents have, or another.

In fact, if anyone can give me more info about them, i'd very much
appreciate it.

	   		jessica
--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||