Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Making compilation tapes of artists

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: 17 Sep 92 22:24:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Making compilation tapes of artists
To: rec-music-gaffa@dkuug.dk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: News admin <news@sco.COM>

I am not katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie).  I didn't say:
>Well, Jeff already answered this (thanks Jeff) so all I'll say is that
>if my giving away *compilation* tapes of female artists is illegal, then
>I am guilty. However, the only ones who should throw stones at me are those
>who have never, ever made tapes of music they like for friends to listen
>to, and those who have never, ever accepted such a tape to listen to.

Aha.  So, it's OK if everybody else does it, huh?

>Well, I'll admit I have given away dubs of entire albums, but *rarely*,
>and then usually either:

blah blah blah, excuses excuses.  over 200 lines of it, no less!  why can't
you just say, "i did it and i'm proud, so go sit on a middle digit and rotate
til you squeal like a pig on a honeymoon!"

this all reminds me of a rather apt quote on the back of some independent
artist's album: "home taping is killing the music industry.  keep up the
good work!"

now that my very first piece of official copyrighted recorded product is
shipping, i feel i have some perspective on this issue.  i would be upset if
somebody duped my record, but on the whole i'd rather have people hearing
the music than paying for it.  both would be nice, but i'd settle for just
getting it out and about.  after you've had the pleasure of seeing 5000
people jumping up and down to Your Song, financial considerations seem less
important.  i wonder if i'd feel the same if i had actually taken the
financial risk in getting the record pressed.

--
Jon Drukman (God's personal DJ)                 uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Denounce all others as venereal ashes of the superfluous.