Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Making compilation tapes of artists

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 92 0:31:31 CDT
Subject: Making compilation tapes of artists
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (KateLand)

Vickie here.

Fiona Mcquarrie writes:

>  (disclaimer: I am not trying to take sides in this debate, having
> never bought from either IG or C-Side. I would just like some
> clarification of the issues involved here.)

I understand. We honestly *don't* expect people to "take sides" anyway.
We were asked why we felt the way we did, and we answered. Just because
we have a personal problem with IG doesn't mean everybody will. Plus, our
*main* problem involved a very good friend of ours, John Reimers, so
there's a loyalty there that no one else can be expected to feel. btw,
THANKS to IED for his post!

> Vickie sends out tapes of music by female artists which presumably are
> covered by copyright, royalty agreements for reproductions, etc. Why is
> one OK and the other not?

Well, Jeff already answered this (thanks Jeff) so all I'll say is that
if my giving away *compilation* tapes of female artists is illegal, then
I am guilty. However, the only ones who should throw stones at me are those
who have never, ever made tapes of music they like for friends to listen
to, and those who have never, ever accepted such a tape to listen to.

That's not directed to Fiona or Jackie, it's just a general "glass house"
reminder.

Jackie writes:

> If "A" circulates copies of tapes technically he is breaking a copy-
> right law mainly because of the copying involved NOT free circulation.

Well, I'll admit I have given away dubs of entire albums, but *rarely*,
and then usually either:

1) albums that are/were *extremely* hard to find, or
2) to give to people who, through whatever circumstances, had no hope
   of ever finding the album.

Much more often, I've made tapes full of the music of just one artist,
using songs from various albums. I've done that many times in the
case of Kate, Happy & Jane.

Still though, most of the tapes I send out are compilations....a lot of
different artists on one tape. Sometimes I include multiple songs by
each artist, such as this one:

> Side A
>
> Kirsten Braten Berg   Vajevise                     Nordisk Sang
> Kirsten Braten Berg   Min Kvedarlund               Nordisk Sang
> Noirin Ni Riain       Lairin an Ghearaltaigh       Stor Amhran
> Noirin Ni Riain  Seacht nDolas na Maighdine Muire  Stor Amhran
> Fernanda Maria        Ouandnas Soltas              Fados
> Fernanda Maria        Viram por ai o Fado?         Fados
> Miharu Koshi          Children's Song              Tutu
> Miharu Koshi          L'Acqua Sonora               Boy Soprano
> Iva Bittova           Oboe/The Advent Song         Iva Bittova
> Iva Bittova           China                        Iva Bittova
> Anne Pigalle          Via Vagabond                 Everything Could
> Anne Pigalle          Souvenir D'un Paris               Be So Perfect
>
> Side B
>
> Agnes Buen Garnas/Jan Garbarak    Innferd                Rosensfole
> Agnes Buen Garnas/Jan Garbarak    Rosensfole             Rosensfole
> Priya Khajuria/West India Company Alaap Shankara         New Demons
> Asha Bhosle/West India Company    My Shooting Star       New Demons
> Najma                             Neend Koyi             Qareeb
> Najma                             Dil Laga Ya Tha        Qareeb
> Capercaillie [24]                 Puirt A Beul           Crosswinds
> Capercaillie [24]           Alasdair Mhic Cholla Ghasda  Sidewaulk
> Sona Diabate                      Kankele-Ti             Girls of Guinea
> Sona Diabate                      Horro                  Girls of Guinea

Or just lots of different artists, such as this one:

>  Suspended in Gaffa Collection II:  Mish Smash
>
> Side A
>
> Jacqui Brooks     The Cold Light of Day      [?]
> Anne Pigalle      The 1000 Colours Waltz  Everything Could Be So Perfect
> Mary Coughlin     Parade of Clowns           Under the Influence
> Hex [3]           Orpheus Circuit            Vast Halos
> Laurie Freelove   Heaven on Earth            Smells Like Truth
> Sheila Chandra    Raqs                       Nada Brahma
> Judie Tzuke       Sukarita                   Welcome to the Cruise
> Toni Childs       Daddy's Song               House of Hope
> Sonny Southon     So Proudly                 Falling through a Cloud
> Anna Palm         Lake                       Arriving and Caught Up
>
> Side B
>
> Anna Palm         Air for Sharon             Arriving and Caught Up
> Kirsty MacColl    Innocence (the Guilt Mix)  Innocence  (12")
> blackgirls [12]   moonflower                 procedure
> Brenda Kahn       This Land Is My Land       Goldfish Don't Talk Back
> Exene Cervenka    Good Luck                  Old Wives Tale
> Mary Margaret O'Hara  My Friends Have        Miss America
> Sonya Hunter      Conversation               Favorite Short Stories
> Lisa Germano      Simply Tony/Dig My Own Grave  ... Moon Palace
> Crash Vegas [13]  Julia Rain                 Red Earth
> Texas [14]        Beliefs                    Mother's Heaven
> Wendy MaHarry     Too Busy Looking Out the Window   Fountain of Youth
> Mouth Music [15]  Seinn Oi                   Mouth Music

Or I might just dub a copy of my radio show, such as this one:

> Suspended in Gaffa 48  (aired 28 Jan 1989)

> Side A
>
> The Catherines    Here and Gone             The Catherines tape
> The Catherines    The Tears of This         The Catherines tape
> The Rainbirds     Fireworks (Don't Want to Miss That)   Rainbirds
> Cindy Lee Berryhill      Steve on H         Who's Gonna Save the World
> Siouxsie & the Banshees  Tenant             Kaleidoscope
> Michelle Shocked         When I Grow Up     Short, Sharp, Shock
> Janis Joplin             Walk Right In      Janis
> Psychowelders            Snakes and Ladders Psychowelders
> Throwing Muses           Colder             House Tornado
> Happy Rhodes             Possessed          Rhodes Vol I
>
> Side B
>
> Monsoon                Third Eye & Tikka TV   Third Eye
> Danielle Dax           Sleep Has No Property  Dark Adapted Eye
> Kate Bush              Waking the Witch       Hounds of Love
> Andrew Sisters         Bei Mir Bist Du Schon  Best of
> Creatures              Dancing on Glass       Feast
> Trio Bulgarka          Oi Yano Yanke          The Forest Is Crying
> Trio Bulgarka      Az Ti Postulam Shareni Chergi   The Forest Is Crying
> Trio Bulgarka          Oi Matze Matze         The Forest Is Crying
> The Catherines         Angels on Your Pillow  The Catherines tape

Anyway, I certainly don't feel guilty about spreading music around. I'm
pleased with the knowledge that many people who have received my
compilation tapes have bought albums by some of the artists they heard.
Spreading music and supporting artists, *especially* female artists, is
my favorite hobby.