Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kings over Aces

From: v129j6ed@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (This is F.U.N.)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 23:26:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Kings over Aces
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nntp@acsu.buffalo.edu

In article <920917195959_555063.0_CHL31-1@CompuServe.COM>, MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM (MJM) writes...
>>David Koehler:
>>  I've always known that I deviated from the mean, but the Kate Poll (tm)
>>  was a real shocker!  "Fullhouse" finished third from last (of 98 songs),
>>  just ahead of the dud (IMHO) "Candle In The Wind".  Fullhouse is, IMHO,
>>  quite brilliant, so I gave it a 10/10 score.  Apparently so did three
>>  other people (out of 30).
>>  I think we need to form a support group to console each other.    ;-)
>Sign me up.  Actually, I am a great fan of Lionheart.  Although
>these songs may have been written the same time as TKI songs were
>I see a common motif in a number of them that is distinct from other
>motifs (musical motifs, that is) in Kate's work.

When I started up the poll, "LionHeart" was actually doing well.
About the 4th day, it started to drop rapidly.  It was well over
Never ForEver, The Whole Story, The Sensual World, and both of
the CD's from the Box Set.  More surprisingly, "The Kick Inside"
was the top album, but "The Dreaming", and then finally, "The
Hounds of Love" took over the top spot.
Also, 'Under The Ivy' was the song leader for a long time, but
on the last two days, this was changed. I was hoping that a
B-Side of Kate's would be her fans' favorite. I just love that kind
of irony.

>But hey, Lionheart (another LH, indeed) gets a bad rap on Gaffa
>and continues to be, in my mind underappreciated, which is why
>I did not expect many or any of its songs to do exceedingly well
>in the polls.

I was extremely disappionted that 'Hammer Horror' did so poorly,
along with 'Violin', which I expected not to do as well as others,
but not that bad.  I guess we all have some sort of disappointments
in our lives.

>BTW, I think the poll was *very* interesting.
>Thanks to the person who conducted it, whoever you are (it's
>hard to tell from that cryptic sig.

Ok. Ok. Since people have been referring me as Richard Darwin, and are
not sure who I am, I have changed my sig. so noone will be confused any
more.
Anyways, it was time for a change.

"Fans are interesting things. Rush fans just can't comprehend why the
rest of the world doesn't like Rush. REM fans consider the rest of the world
beneath their social level to notice. Kate Bush fans love the rest of the
world, and the world loves them, but spend long nights plotting to knife
one another."                    --Richard Darwin
                                   Richard Darwin #33, "Gradenza"
Jef Kolodziej                                                   The KaTeFan(tm)
v129j6ed@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu           State University of New York at Buffalo
History Major                                                  51 East NorthRup
(716) 837-9610                                                Buffalo, NY 14214