Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ELTON JOHN Candle In The Wind/Rocket Man quotes

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 18:29:57 PDT
Subject: ELTON JOHN Candle In The Wind/Rocket Man quotes
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        I wrote to the Elton John mailing list and asked if anyone
could provide any quotes from Elton/Bernie about Rocket Man and Candle
in the Wind.  A nice fellow named Ron McBay sent me these.

RE: CANDLE IN THE WIND

(From the TWO ROOMS book) - BERNIE: I never get tired of hearing
"Candle In
The Wind."  There are some of our songs that are the perfect mesh of
lyric and
melody and I think "Candle In The Wind" is one of them.  The only thing
that
bothers me about the song is that as a result people tend to think that
I have
a raging obsession with Marilyn Monroe which was not the point of the
song.
The point of the song was how the media distorts people's lives.  It's
a bit
like "Daniel," people are not left alone, and that's really what
"Candle In
The Wind" was about.  It's a song about media abuse.  How we abuse the
living,
how we abuse the dead.  I'm not saying she wasn't talented, but
sometimes it
pays to die -- that's what that song's about.

(From THE MANY LIVES OF ELTON JOHN book) - ELTON: It was so hard to
record.
The only way I recorded that in the end is that we put the piano on
afterward.
It was the first vocal I'd ever recorded standing up, and after that
the piano,
guitar, drums were put on.  It was such a hard song to do because it's
not a
typical piano number and I actually sang the number leaping around the
microphone and going crazy.

(From the ELTON JOHN biography) - BERNIE: I wanted to say that it
wasn't just
a sex thing.  That she was someone everybody could fall in love with,
without
her being out of reach.

(From same) - ELTON: When I think of Marilyn, I just think of pain.  I
can't
ever imagine her being that happy.

RE: ROCKET MAN

(From the ELTON JOHN biography) - BERNIE: The words just came into my
head:
"She packed my bags last night, pre-flight.  Zero-hour is nine am."  I
remember
jumping out of the car and running into my parents' house, shouting,
"Please
don't anyone talk to me until I've written this down."

(From same) - When asked whether they stole "Rocket Man" from David
Bowie's
"Space Oddity," BERNIE: Oh no.  We didn't steal that one from Bowie.
We stole
it from another bloke, called Tom Rapp [leader of the American cult
band,
Pearls Before Swine, who had released an earlier song also called
"Rocket
Man."]

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)